General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug changing

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Default Spark plug changing

I have a 98 accord 4 cyl..Can anyone tell me or direct me to photos on how to change spark plugs . What is the best spark plugs /spark plug wires to use........Do I have to change the spark plug wires..or can i just leave the original on. My car has 156k miles...The shop is charging 110 dollars to change the plugs and wires..but if i can do it myself..it would save me a little money...

Thanks

Old 06-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Default RE: Spark plug changing

You can do it yourself fairly easy... I think there is even a writeup in our DIY section. If the plug wires haven't been done in a long time then I'd change them, the best plugs to use are NGK, best wires are Honda OEM. The wires are usually like $88.00 and Plugs are about $4-$5 so they're only charging around $20.00 in labor. It's up to you if you want to do it yourself or pay the $20.00.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:55 PM
Deleted User
Unregistered
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 06-29-2007, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Changing the sparkplugs is a pretty simple DIY job.

Since you are not sure how to do it, go to Autozone and buy a Haynes manual for your Accord.

It is a $20 investment that you will pay for itself once you do the spark plugs/wires the first time. Plus it has a lot of basic information if your car starts having other problems.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:51 PM

^ x2. I bought a Haynes for both of my Accords. There have been many occasions when I was glad I had them.
While you're at AutoZone buy one of their cheap $10 beam type torque wrenches as well. This will allow you to know youtightened tothe right amount of torque (13ft lbs). Also make sure you have a 5/8 plug wrench and a gap tool. If you don't, buy one those as well. I boughtem last time I was there for about $5 or soI think. i think the gap is supposed to be between .038 & .042, but don't take my word for it, check the Haynes. You will probably enjoy doing the job yourself. Itshould give you a sense of accomplishment If you run into any problems or have any questions, we are always here[sm=type.gif]. Or the AutoZone guys could probably help you out as well.
Oh yeah...don't buy Bosch plugs. Honda's don't like them for some reason.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:26 PM

I dont think any car likes Bosch plugs.

That shop is trying to take you! You honestly dont even need a manual. It's as simple as it sounds. Undo only one wire and plug at a time, so you dont mix them up. Otherwise use a 5/8" spark plug socket, with a long extention and a ratchet, get one plug and wire off. Gap to new plug to specs ( should be in owners manual ). and put it in. Torque wrench is a good idea but really not necessary. Just dont crank on em!

I reccomend NGK V-Power plugs...about a buck-fifty a piece and work great. I'm using Autolite wires and they do fine too.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Deleted User
Unregistered
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 06-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you car takes platinum tips plugs get NGK PFR6F-11.. if you got the extra money replace the wires as well,, i would strongly reccomend that yiou use Honda factory plug wires, and ONLY NGK PLUGS
As for replacing the plugs it is real easy , 5/8 socket, extension and a rachet, you DO NOT need to torque the plugs , it is no big deal, just tighten them up till bottom and go about 1/4 turn more, Plug come pre gapped but it is a good idea to chk the gap as it was suggested the gap spec is .038-.042 gap them close to .038 as you can, gap will get wider as plug wears,

Old 06-29-2007, 08:49 PM

try the ACCEL 8mm 300+thundersport wires, I have used them for about 2 years now and they work very well. you can find them on Ebay for around $30. but yeah NGK or Denso will work the best in Hondas.

Old 06-30-2007, 04:34 PM

Try to use only Honda genuine parts from Japan (like the wires). That other junk may work well in American cars but give your Honda oem stuff.

Quick Reply: Spark plug changing