General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

speed, power

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 02:26 PM
brandogill
Unregistered
Default speed, power

hey i have a 1993 accord LX 4 door the entire engine is stock nd its still in great shape but like every other teenager i want a little more power in it any one have suggestions for some engine parts that wud give my car a little boost?

Old 01-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: speed, power

Save your money and spend it on something that gives a significant boost in power, otherwise and intake/header/exhaust will just make you sound fast.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: brandogill

hey i have a 1993 accord LX 4 door the entire engine is stock nd its still in great shape but like every other teenager i want a little more power in it any one have suggestions for some engine parts that wud give my car a little boost?
Not to be a smart guy here..but will you please read the forum posting rules before you decide to go fast, then we can get on with the posting...[&:]

Thank you for joining and It was I who moved you over to this forum..

WheelBrokerAng

Old 01-19-2009, 09:11 PM
brandogill
Unregistered

i dont want to just sound fast i want to actually speed up my car nd if i save up $ wut would be a good investment?

Old 01-19-2009, 10:46 PM

Get it to stop and handle first, then make it fast.

Slow cars that handle well are faster than fast cars that handle badly...

Old 01-19-2009, 11:26 PM

ORIGINAL: JohnL

wise and true

Old 01-20-2009, 07:41 AM

ORIGINAL: JohnL

Very true .... Id add that suspension should be done first because the braking improves when you can hold the ground better ..... then you know how far you have to improve the brakes.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:51 AM

Real speed starts with a person who knows how to handle a car, otherwise it's a waste of money.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:18 PM

Hmmmm ..... I guess money could buy a driver, but then again that comment doesnt really help anyone. A nicer way to put it could have been to suggest investing the money in performance driving lessons such as Skip Barbers Driving School.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:25 PM

Personally, if all else is fine (bushes, ball joints etc), my first move would be some decent dampers, prefferably Bilstein or Koni.

Next would be good tyres (and I don't mean ultra low profile stretched on super sized rims). For street use a 50 series profile is ideal, but no less than 45, even for racing (IMO...).

If you have the stock rims (5.5J / 15) then it's hard to find tyres designed more for driving than shopping, but I've recently fitted a pair of BF Goodrich G-Force Sport to the front of my CB7 (on stock wheels) and couldn't be happier with them.

In my experience, nearly all tyres in the stock 195/60/15 size have hopelessly soft sidewalls (single ply sidewall), but these Goodrich's have fairly stiff sidewalls (dual ply sidewall / stiffening insert near the bead) giving good steering and handling response (relative to any other tyres in this size that I've tried), as well as a softish compound giving quite good grip.

I haven't had these BFG tyres for long, but so far they are impressive (can't comment yet on wear), and I highly recommend them for the stock wheel (reasonably priced as well). Other tyres might or might not be better, but few (or no?) other 'performance' tyres come in a size suitable for the stock Accord rims (205 is easier to find in 'proper' performance tyres, but is much too wide when even 195 is a rather wide tyre for a 5.5J rim).

Quick Reply: speed, power