General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Speed Sensor, Accord V6

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Default Speed Sensor, Accord V6

Hello,

This morning my ’97 Accord worked, fine for what it’s worth. As I leave work I notice the check engine light is on and stays on. I took it to Auto Zone to have it checked. They tell me it’s the Speed Sensor, code 500.

This explains why on most mornings after warming the car (warm climate year round) it won’t seem to shift gears for about half-a-block or so. After that it drives fine. Others time the car drives better then other times.

Auto Zone charges $90.00 for Duralast brand and the Honda dealer charges $130.98 for a Honda part. Is the cheaper brand equal to Honda or should I stay with Honda brand?

Also, where is the speed sensor located on a 1997, Accord sedan, V6? I was unable to locate it in my Haynes manual

My apologies for not spending much time searching the forums but I believe this may explain a few problems I’m having with the car and wish take care of it immediately.

Thanks for everyone’s time.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

The speed sensor is on the transmission somewhere below the throttle body. Look at the parts sold on Ebay to get an idea of what the VSS looks like.

I would check first that the connector is on the VSS securely and that there is no corrosion or oil in the connector.

TAS auto is a sponsor of this site and may be a cheaper price. Junkyards are also a good source for parts IMO.

There is a drive link that sits below the VSS that you could loose if you don't realize its there. Just make sure that it doesn't stick to the old VSS when you pull it out.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:14 PM

I found the Speed sensor, though it wasn't under the TB. It's on the back on the transmission beyond the TB toward the back of the car. Based on the pictures I seen online that's it. I removed the connector and only had a clean paper shop towel sprayed with some TB cleaner. I cleaned what little I could but the CEL is still on.

I'm shocked at the prices of this thing. On ebay is like about $20.00. Do you trust purchasing from ebay? I'm doubtfull of purchasing an electrical part form a junkyard and on account it probably as old as mine.

Thanks for all the good help.

Attached Thumbnails Speed Sensor, Accord V6-speed-sensor1.jpg  
Old 09-14-2009, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

It's below the throttle body on a 4-cyl car.

One confusing thing is that code P0500 is the VSS code for manual tranny cars. With an automatic tranny, your car should have thrown P1791 ???

Old 09-14-2009, 04:47 PM

PAHonda and Jim,

Thanks for your input. I was with the Auto Zone guy as he tested the error, though he originally looked under the dash under the steering wheel for the connector. I told the guy on this model it was behind the ash tray.

I wasn't able to see the code on the test equipment he had considering the angle and glare on the screen. He told me it was the speed sensor then removed the test equipment. I had to ask him for the code and all he said was code 500. Unless he set the test equipment wrong.

I'm going to get a second opinion and take it to another Auto Zone. I'll also contact a dealer to ask if they charge anything for testing for a CEL error.

Will let you know

Old 09-15-2009, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

I've always heard that a dealer WILL charge to read error codes with a scanner.
My list that shows P0500 being manual-trans only, comes from a 1998-99 Helm book, and a 2003-06 Helm book. So maybe for 1996 it's different??

As far as trusting eBay, that's like trusting someone on the street. EBay is a gazillion DIFFERENT vendors, some good & some not. I wouldn't say "trust eBay" or "don't trust eBay". Gotta find a recommendation for a specific vendor.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:13 PM

I stopped by another AutoZone and they checked the CEL error code. They only received one error code and that was the same as before P0500. The AZ person allowed me to see the screen on the test equipment. He even provided a printout that reads:

Definition
BBVSS circuit malfunction
Probable cause
BB1.-Open or short circuit condition
BB2.-Poor electrical connection
BB3.-Faulty vehicle speed sensor

You are correct the dealer does charge $50.00 for testing for the CEL error though the fee is waived if you do the work.

Attached Thumbnails Speed Sensor, Accord V6-cel-code1.jpg  
Old 09-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Is your speedometer working?

Old 09-16-2009, 07:52 AM

Yes, the speedometer is working. The only thing from the dash that doesn't appear to be working is the low fuel warning light. I've been very low on gas a couple of times and that warning light has never turned on.

What's your opinion on obtaining this item from a salvage yard?

Old 09-16-2009, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

If the speedometer is working, it seems like the VSS should be OK.

That seems to mean the speedometer is getting a good VSS signal, but the ECU isn't. So a wiring problem?? I'd like to see a wiring diagram for that year before getting too specific.

I have a suspicion that (with an auto-tranny) the VSS signal first goes to the tranny computer, and then the tranny computer gives that information to the engine computer. So it might be something in the wiring harness between the 2 computers.

Last edited by JimBlake; 09-16-2009 at 08:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Speed Sensor, Accord V6