General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speedometer issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 12:09 AM
doah
Unregistered
Default speedometer issue?

hi! first time to post here, but I've been here many times reading, great source of info.
I have a question...
My wife and I have a 93 Accord with 70,000 miles on it (not our primary car). It is flawless, except this week the speedometer started working off and on. It works fine, then just drops to 0mph (while traveling). After a while the needle will bounce a bit then start working normal. Also, sometimes the odometer works when the needle is on 0mph and sometimes it also stops. Any ideas? I appreciate any info you can give. Regards.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: speedometer issue?

Quick test; when the speedo is not working try to see if the cruise control works.
If the cruise will work, the problem is usually the speedo head/circuit.
If the cruise doesn't work the VSS is the suspected culprit.
Also if the VSS is bad it will usually throw a Check Engine Light.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:56 AM
XxPuNkTuReXx
Unregistered

hello, i have a similar problem although mine squeaks continuesly. Have tried too take the dash speedo out but unsuccesfully...;
85' Ad accord

Old 02-23-2007, 03:13 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yo xx yours is a different set up .85 has a cable his car is electric set up . and you should open your own post , so we do not have more than 1 question in 1 post,, anyho,, you need to disconnect the speedo cable at the tranny, pull the inner cable out, grease it and put it back in keep on greasing it as you reinstall it but do not overdue it with the grease

that should stop the squeak,, if not you need to replace the speedo cable

Old 02-23-2007, 09:55 PM
doah
Unregistered

Thanks for the reply.
Actually the cruise control hasn't worked for about a year. No check engine light on, but I asked my wife and she told me that the ABS light just started coming on. She actually says she hears a faint motor sound (her words, she means like a small motor is running) that stops when the ABS light comes on. Any correlation?

Old 02-23-2007, 09:59 PM

there probably isn't any correlation between the two.... what she is hearing is probably the abs system trying to pressurize, it fails and then gives you the code.... if the cruise hasn't worked for a year the VSS may be a problem (slowly failing)... if you have a Maintenance required light/indicator on the speedo, stick your key into the slot beside it to reset it and see if the speedo starts working (it's caused problems on 95's before but I don't know if your car has that option....)

Old 02-26-2007, 10:35 PM
doah
Unregistered

Ok, I reset the maintanence indicator (yes the 93 has it) and so far so good. I was only able to drive it about 10 miles around town, but it seemed to work. Tomorrow I have to go on a short out of town trip and I'm going to take it. I'll keep my fingers crossed... man that would just be to easy!
Any ideas about the ABS? what's involved in fixing this and any issues with leaving it as is? Again thanks for all the great info so far.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:22 PM
doah
Unregistered

OK... I hate to bring back this post but... IT'S DOING IT AGAIN[:@]
Still no cruise and the speedometer works, then bounces, then quits like before.
Also the abs light is still coming on.

Should I start preparing to explore the VSS?

Old 06-22-2007, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

I would short the service connector and check to see if any codes are stored. Just follow the instructions in the link below.

http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

This site is for a 5th gen, but I think it is basically the same for the 4th gen. You can also read the ABS codes at the same time.

For the engine light its a long blink for 10 then short blinks for 1. So L--SSS is 13.

For the ABS the codes are 1-3, so you would see SS--SSSS is 2-4.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:04 PM
doah
Unregistered

Thanks, I'll try this in the morning...
Will this work even though my "check engine" light has never come on?

Quick Reply: speedometer issue?