General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 07:27 PM
Default Speedometer issues

I have seen this thread before but i did not see my exact problem right away so i decided to post, if someone knows where this is solved feel free to tell me.

Anyway i recently got a 1996 honda accord 4 cly 5 speed model DX. The problem i am having is that the speedometer sometimes does not work. It does not jump around like i hear other people describing, it simply shows 0. This is almost always at night driving. (because it is colder outside, i assume) When it works otherwise, it works fine. I Replaced the VSS which seemed to make it work more often but still not all the time. It also rules out the VSS.

though i am not sure, i am guessing it needs a little new solder somewhere behind the panel itself but i have no idea how to get that off.

Any ideas?

Old 08-31-2012, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

In the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum, there is a link to online shop manuals. The honda-tech link has a 94 manual you can download that is pretty much identical to your 96.

The center console, radio and plastic bezel, and the HVAC controls need to be removed. It sounds like a lot, but it isnt too bad to get to the cluster.

Take apart the cluster, then repair solder on the circuit board on back of the speedometer. I've also read about problems with the main cluster board where the speedometer connects or bolts had corrosion, so take a look there.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:22 PM

hello, sorry i never thanked you for the reply. i got around to trying this today without much luck. I took off the two screws above the dash, and also the center console , radio, plastic bezel, and another screw on the small compartment to the left of the wheel. The problem is that one screw is holding on right on the bottom of the panel on the left side of the HVAC controls. in where the radio was i can see it with a mirror but the space is so small that my ratchet cant even get in there let alone a regular screwdriver.

any ideas?

Old 09-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Did you remove the radio?

Old 09-07-2012, 08:01 PM

yes. it is in the bottom right corner of the hvac controls.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

I don't remember any screws that were impossible to access.

If it is one of the screws under the HVAC controls, I just used my finger to position my screwdriver in there and took them out.

There is a ratchet you can buy that uses the screw driver adapters for pretty cheap at harbor freight. I am sure other stores would have them. Here is a pic of what I am talking about.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:20 PM

uhh nevermind lol. someone decided to hide the last screw behind the rear defrost switch. i mean, who would decide to pry the switch off and look behind? was looking in the completely wrong place before...

Old 09-07-2012, 08:39 PM

well anyway i got it out now and i am baffled. The speedometer just comes out of the dash with no wires or anything attached. I am guessing the only electrical connection is through the four screws on the back? Any idea which joints usually need additional solder? the main four where the screws go or some other ones?

thanks again.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Take a look where the four screws hold down the speedometer. Any buildup will cause a problem. Maybe clean up the connections with a piece of sand paper.

On the back of the speedometer, there is a small circuit board. Take a very close look at those solder joints.

Those are the two areas where I have read about people having success in fixing their speedometer.

Here is how I repair solder joints. Do one joint at a time.

I remove the solder using the braided copper. Then I use new solder with flux core (helps to make good connection and I don't have to put that flux on with a q-tip). Then I put my soldering iron on the base of where the joint will go to heat everything up. Then I bring in the solder from the other side of my soldering iron. This route makes a nice cone shaped solder joint.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
In the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum, there is a link to online shop manuals. The honda-tech link has a 94 manual you can download that is pretty much identical to your 96.

The center console, radio and plastic bezel, and the HVAC controls need to be removed. It sounds like a lot, but it isnt too bad to get to the cluster.

Take apart the cluster, then repair solder on the circuit board on back of the speedometer. I've also read about problems with the main cluster board where the speedometer connects or bolts had corrosion, so take a look there.
How do remove the the hvac controls after completing the previous steps? Am i supposed to reach inside and pull the controls from the rear?

Thanks for all great info you always offer on the site!
Ray

Quick Reply: Speedometer issues