General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer not right....

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 11:15 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default Speedometer not right....

Alright, well I usually always drive the speed limit or no more than 4 mph over. But it always seemed like people either drove really fast or I just drove slow because people always pass me. Anyways,two days agoI was driving on the interstate and my friend was following me in his 04 Impala. I was doing 65mph (the speed limit in IL) because we werent in a hurry and gas is expensive. After we make it home, he proceeds to tell me that I drive slow and I was only going about 60-61mph. I was utterly confused because I was going 65 the whole time. Later, my gf needed me to go in town and help her, then on our way home we were talking on the cells and I asked her why she was going so fast in a joking matter. She said she was only going 55 (93 Ford Tempo), and I was too but she was pulling away from me.

So yesterday, my friend and I had the interstate to ourselves and I wanted to test it our exactly. So I had him put his speed control on 65 and 70, exactly and I did the same. Both times he would pull away from me. So I got next to him, he was @ 70 so I sped up to 74 and our cars kept going back and forth ahead of each other, so I am assuming it was my car that was varying speed.

So it looks like my speedo is off by 4-5 mph. Anyone else know of this happening? I have the stock 15' steelies on it. And 185/65/R15's

Then he alaso has said my car slows down really fast, so we let off the gas @ the same time and mine does slow down quite a bit faster than his.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Default RE: Speedometer not right....

Are the tires the same size as what is recommended on the sticker on the inside of the door?

Old 11-21-2007, 11:28 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you should set the cruise at 60 on an interstate and have a buddy with a stopwatch time how long it takes to go a mile by the mile markers on the side of the road ..... much more accurate ...... also, if your tires are bald, your speedo will read a bit high, but not that much ....... stock sizes like 00accord suggested?

Old 11-21-2007, 11:30 AM

I had that problem in my 4Runner.. Had to get a whole new spedo..

Turned out that it was inaccurate above 50mph @ -7mph, but below that speed it was only off by -2mph..

new spedo fixed the issue and never had to worry again... then again, i speed like a **** anyway and "drive with the traffic"... or at least ahead of it

Old 11-21-2007, 11:35 AM

LOL @ traffic ......... come up here and try driving Manhattan!!!!

Old 11-21-2007, 11:47 AM

I just looked at tirerack and the numbers he posted are stock OEM for a 97 LX. Hmmmmm....unless it's a faulty speedo, I'm stumped.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:02 PM

Dude, i live 12 miles from work... at 3am it takes me MAYBE 10 minutes to get tehre...

during my normal commute time, i'm looking at 45 minutes minimum... an hour and a half if there's a wreck..

ppl can't drive for **** down here

Old 11-21-2007, 02:13 PM

ORIGINAL: klrspz

Same here in MS. We havehad a lot of dry spells in the summer and I guess everyone forgets how to drive in the rain.
If it sprinkles there are like 2,350,489 wrecks.
We need one of those"no cell phone while driving" laws. I swear you will see someone doing 10mph in a 55, swerving from lane to lane. You will think they are drunk so you try to pass them as fast as you can. Then you see they are just talking on thier frickin cell phone!

Old 11-21-2007, 02:47 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Hmmm...idk either. I just hope its nto a sign that my speed sensor is going to break soon.

I need to find one of those speed signs that cops set on the side of the road to show you how fast you are going. Idk what the deal is though. I may try the mile marker thing.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:52 PM

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

ORIGINAL: klrspz

Same here in MS. We havehad a lot of dry spells in the summer and I guess everyone forgets how to drive in the rain.
If it sprinkles there are like 2,350,489 wrecks.
We need one of those"no cell phone while driving" laws. I swear you will see someone doing 10mph in a 55, swerving from lane to lane. You will think they are drunk so you try to pass them as fast as you can. Then you see they are just talking on thier frickin cell phone!
LOL .... I thought that I coined the phrase "Jersey drivers go retarded when it rains" ....... also, I've seen a guy bounce his Lincoln off of a cement barrier b/c he was on the phone ...... I saw plastic and fiberglass fly off and the guy just stayed on the phone ...... in the left lane ...... and NJ DOES have the cell phone laws!!!

Quick Reply: Speedometer not right....