General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Speedometer not working, already replaced vss once, whats wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 02:27 AM
Default Speedometer not working, already replaced vss once, whats wrong?

I've replaced my speed sensor once already, it worked for about 4 days and didn't work after, obviously the cruise control doesn't work either. Anyone have any suggestions or tips? I'm not any sort of a car expert, i know very little, so please explain as much as possible for my dumbass, Thanks

Old 07-09-2011, 02:53 AM

Also, my window fell completely in, its a power window and its the drivers side, the motor still works and i can here it working, does that rule out the regulator being bad or are they even two different things? please help.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The VSS may be a wire fault in the connector that engages the VSS. This will cause same fault as bad VSS. It would likely be intermittent also.

Window has become disengaged from the regulator. You will need to remove door panel, retrieve fasteners (hopefully at bottom of door) and reattach window to regulator. Check ericthecarguy youtube video on replacing the window run channel in a Honda. It describes door panel removal, window removal/installation just like you will need.

good luck

Old 07-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

my sppedo needle is acting up as well. i was going to replace the vss but im hesitant now that i read it didnt fix your problem. keep us updated!!

Old 07-09-2011, 11:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies

my speedo dont work and it is driving me nuts. i think i am going to try replacing the VSS any other ideas i that aint the answer? also the OD stopped working at 170,000 i was told when i bought it grrrrrrr. the title says mileage exempt. hit me back with any solutions and i will let you know how it turned out.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:52 AM

okay, will do, thanks for the help, ill keep you guys updated, going to take a look at both in the morning. Thanks again.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by 97 special edition
my speedo dont work and it is driving me nuts. i think i am going to try replacing the VSS any other ideas i that aint the answer? also the OD stopped working at 170,000 i was told when i bought it grrrrrrr. the title says mileage exempt. hit me back with any solutions and i will let you know how it turned out.

Some have had success w/ a very firm thump of the dash panel above the gauge panel. Apparently the gears can become jammed and vibration may free the jam.

good luck

Old 07-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies

if the gears in the dash are stuck...would the cruise control wor?? i would think that it should cause the vss would not be the problem. hmmm

Old 07-10-2011, 03:26 PM

If speedometer and cruise don't work, VSS problem; sensor, connector, or circuit are likely. If cruise works, then gauge panel is more likely the problem.

good luck

Old 07-18-2011, 09:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

vss at autozone $150...vss on ebay $16. what could possibly be the difference? i went with the one from ebay and it fixed my speedometer. wow did i save money!!!!

Quick Reply: Speedometer not working, already replaced vss once, whats wrong?