General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

speedometer stopped working?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 04:40 PM
chill1022
Unregistered
Default speedometer stopped working?

Hi im new to the forum an few months back my starter was messed up and my harmonic balancer as well which cost me like 1gran to fix with this mechanic who i think over charged me for his services, but anyway thats the past.
My issue i believe is electrical im not sure but about a week ago i turned my car on an i start driving an noticed my speedometer gauge not working plus it stays at "Zero" The D4 on the gauge is flashing ON an OFF at the same time. But everything else is working on the dash and some times the check engine light comes on. everything was fine till i got a oil change an the guy there said to me you need a somthing valve changed that goes on top of your engine so it can breath so i said go ahead change it. after that the next day this starting happening.

if anyone can help or has had any similar situation please advice.
thanks in advance.

Old 07-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Default RE: speedometer stopped working?

welcome to the forum!

Based on what you've just said I believe your VSS is out (causes that light to flash and controls the speedo Vehicle Speed Sensor) it's located on top of the transmission towards the front left hand side of the car... I believe you can just test to make sure it's kicking out a signal, if it's not then that's your problem... but I'm 90% sure that it's just your VSS which isn't terribly hard to replace.

Old 07-01-2006, 08:07 PM

I'll 2nd the VSS. Happend to my car aswell. I found the part on ebay for cheap too. That's causing the transmission light (D4) to flash as well.

Old 07-03-2006, 03:20 AM
chill1022
Unregistered

thanks guys i appreciate the help im goin to chek it out hopefully that the problem an not something more major....

Old 07-18-2006, 06:07 PM

i have same problem, but my oil light blinks every once in a while, i had the oil sending unit changed and still does it?????????? well the mph hand flicks up and down every once in a while

Old 07-18-2006, 07:17 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: bigdog99

i have same problem, but my oil light blinks every once in a while, i had the oil sending unit changed and still does it?????????? well the mph hand flicks up and down every once in a while
I dont think that's the same problem. Have you checked the oil pressure?

Old 07-18-2006, 11:10 PM

Hello chill......Welcome to HAF..........

a couple of thing.........first off please input the year and model on your sig so we know what we are deraling with

second i agree with the other members about the VSS.........get just the electrical part , go to the link there is some info on it

http://techauto.te.funpic.org/vss.php

also the valve that the shop said need replacing might have been the PCV valve ,,,

Old 07-18-2006, 11:13 PM

Big dog,, i would have that oil pressure hecked as soon as possible ,,

before it might ruin the rod and or main bearings ... also chk the oil pan make sure it has not been damaged ( pushed upwards toward the pick up screen )
oil level ok ?? any oil leaks ? what kind of oil filter are you using ??

Old 07-19-2006, 11:05 AM

well the pan has been pride on theres a gap that they filled in with looks like jb weld, so that needs changed, oil filter is havoline, it aint got a gauge for the pressure, but i dont use oil

Old 07-19-2006, 11:14 AM

take car to a shop and have them chk the oil pressure