General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaky steering wheel when it's cold out

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 12:38 PM
unir2b1
Unregistered
Default Squeaky steering wheel when it's cold out

I'm driving a 1995 Accord EX Sedan w 140k miles...

I just moved from Phoenix to Milwaukee (that's half my problem...). In cold weather my steering wheel squeaks very loudly...very annoying. After the car warms up with the heater, it slowly goes away (it takes 15-20 min to fully go away, but my commute to work is only 10 min)...and it doesn't squeak at all in the summer time. It sounds like it's coming from the column area. I have searched the web and there are all sorts of similar examples...not just Honda (although it does seem to be a current issue for the Ridgeline).

Most people are recommending some formof lubrication, like white lithium grease. I'm just not sure where to apply it...does the steering wheel need to come off?

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Old 01-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Default RE: Squeaky steering wheel when it's cold out

did you check your power steering fluid? if its bubbling over like mine was its prbling missing a little 0 ring by the pump that can cause that

Old 01-02-2008, 06:40 PM

It sounds like a classic case of clockspring noise. On some vehicles, in certain conditions the vinyl sheathing of the wires for your horn and airbag (also known as the clockspring) will rub and make a funky sort of squeak. It is harmless, and generally goes away as the vehicle warms up.

Imagine, the wires for your airbag are in a heavy vinyl jacket, wound from the center of the steering column like a clockspring. When you turn the wheelone way, they tighten slightly, and the other way they loosen. This is why you should never turn the wheel if the p/s rack is removed. The natural limits of the rack prevent tightening the wires to the point that they break.

I was a service advisor for several years, and this was a common complaint. There is really no good "fix", because this is aside effectof normal operation. A new clockspring may make the same noise. It's not necessary or recommended to try to lubricate the clockspring.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:17 PM

very loud squeaking noise when turning the wheels? loose/old p.s. belt?

Old 01-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

I think some careful listening can decide the location of the sound.

The clockspring is located just beneath the center of the steering wheel.

Loose squeaky belt is located in the engine compartment.

We can't hear the noise from here, so it's hard for us to decide.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:00 PM
unir2b1
Unregistered

I think I figured it out...last night I removed the upper plastic cover of the steering column. I identified the plastic parts that were rubbing together causing the squeaky noise and applied white lithium grease with a small paint brush...it seems to be working...no more noise (so far). I had a nice quiet commute to work this morning. We'll see if it returns.
Thanks again.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Pplease post a pic if it's not too much of a PITA. My brother's CL does the same thing. If it's simple enough, I may be nice and fix it.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

If you get something like that rubbing in the column (not actually the clockspring); you might be able to re-align all those plastic covers. Or maybe take a heat gun & bend something.?

Old 01-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I'm thinking more along the lines of squeezing the straw from my silicone spray can in there and giving it a shot.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

It all depends on exactly what's rubbing & that may not be just the same as unir's car.

Quick Reply: Squeaky steering wheel when it's cold out