Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Squeaky steering wheel when it's cold out (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/squeaky-steering-wheel-when-its-cold-out-15074/)

louofm1 01-25-2008 03:01 PM

RE: Squeaky steering wheel when it's cold out

I have the same accord and live in michigan. I've noticed the same problem when the weather is cold. Over the past couple of years, it's gotten progressively worse. Initially i thought it was my power steering pump. After a visit to my local muffler shop, I believewe found the problem. The noise appears to be coming from my upper control arm bushing (in the wheel well). Either it's worn out or lost it's sealed lubrication. We gave it a real good spraydown with silicone based lubricant and the noise went away for a couple of months. It has since come back.

I'm 90% certain that the replacement of my bushing will take care of this problem. The only problem is that the bushing is part of the upper control arm assembly and will require replacement of both. I havent had the money or time to get it taken care of. When you turn your steering wheel, there is motion in that bushing and may cause creeping noises when pressure is applied.

I would try spraying it down (heavily) with silicone lubricant. If the noise goes away, there is your problem. It may return after a while ...but at least you'll know what needs replacement.

Let us know if this isolates the problem

JimBlake 01-25-2008 03:52 PM

Try to stuff some grease in there instead of using spray. That'll probably last quite a bit longer before having to do it again.

eckhart 01-25-2008 11:23 PM

I have a similar problem as described on my 92 Accord that suddenly appeared. It is random though and only during moving turns. I could not figure out what the sound was. It was not really a squeak though and quiet enough that with my radio turned up I could not hear it.

I finally figured out what the sound sounded like. It was like a squeegee going down a window. That same kind of sound. It really sounds like it is coming from the steering column though.

Again, it is sudden and random and the car continues to steer fine.

Wild. Does anyones squeal or sound sound like the one I am encountering?

louofm1 01-28-2008 10:05 AM

how would i "stuff" grease into a sealed bushing? Should i take a needle and try to spray some in there .....then somehow reseal?

JimBlake 01-28-2008 11:16 PM

When you said upper control arm "bushing" I figured you meant the pivot points at the inboard end of the upper control arm. I assumed you can work grease into those bushings, but I haven't had to do that on my Accords.

If you meant the outboard joint, that's a ball joint which has a removable rubber boot. Take that boot off, inspect the actual ball/socket joint for any signs of looseness or roughness. Then pack it with grease & put the boot back on.