General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squealing noise on sweeping turns

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 07:36 AM
Default Squealing noise on sweeping turns

93 Accord LX.

I have a rather loud squeal coming from up in front of the steering wheel somewhere. It happens daily most often when I make a sweeping turn with some speed, like a freeway off ramp. Sounds like a dog whining.

Steering responds fine. No shaking or rattling or clunking. Only this squeal/whine.

Mechanic is stumped, says no leaks exist on "power steering pump" (I think thats what he called it).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 01-25-2008, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Squealing noise on sweeping turns

Sounds like a slipping belt at the power-steering pump. But normally that would make noise when trying to steer without moving the car; say in a parking spot.

Old belts get hard & slippery, & the temptation is to overtighten the belt. That's not good for the pump.

Try some belt dressing. It's only temporary, but if it makes it quiet, that means the slipping belt was the source of the noise.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:42 AM

Thanks Jim. Will check. Mechanic checked the pspump and said it looked fine, no leaks. Mentioned that under pressure the pump it may suck in air if a seal is bad and that is whats causing the noise.

Does this sound reasonable?

Old 01-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Well the difference between a squealing belt vs. a squeaking pump is hard to describe in words. So I'll have to trust you guys who can listen to it first-hand.

The place for it tosuck airis the suction hose. That's a hose from the bottom of the PS fluid reservoir, going to the pump. It's got simple clamps, not high-pressure bolted fittings. Check that for loose clamps, old brittle cracking hose, stuff like that.

Then...
You'll need to drain & remove the reservoir for this. Down in the bottom of the reservoir should be a fine screen, where's it's normally submerged in the fluid. Clean that out.The pump is trying to suck fluid thru it, so if it's clogged it sucks air instead.

Only use HondaPS fluid, or make surethe bottlesays "FOR HONDA/ACURA CARS". Your car will NOT like generic steering fluid that's labeled 'for all types of ....'

Old 01-25-2008, 01:45 PM

I could be way off base here but I have a hard time believing that the pump could suck air without loosing fluid somewhere. That pump and those lines are pressurized, so if air is coming in then the fluid/air in there need somewhere to go... it's like taking a full glass of water and putting an air hose in it, you turn the air on and water is going to come out....

Is this a honda mechanic or the guy at the corner shop who works on everything?

Old 01-25-2008, 01:56 PM

Hes a guy on the corner type who also sells cars. He sold me this one. For what its worth, he has a very good reputation and has been very helpful to this point. Replaced the master cylinder for me at N/C2 days after I bought the car.

Its a 93with just over 90K miles when I bought it 6 weeks ago. Probably had been sitting for a while or truly only taken for short trips.

As any car 14 years old its got a kink or 2 but this is the one Id like to see corrected as its quite annoying.

Thanks Guys.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

The pump suction hose is the ONE place where it's even possible for the fluid pressure to become less than atmospheric. The screen down in the reservoir is the reason;without the screen, you don't pull a vacuum in the reservoir because the cap is vented.

When you have less than the NPSH required bythe pump, it can cavitate, making noise. If that cavitation is caused by outgassing of the fluid, it'll collapse right away. If it's caused by actually sucking air, then the fluid will get foamy. Sometimes a little foam can make noise without having enough air to make a very big difference in fluid level.

But like I said, I can't hear it from here, so ????

Old 01-28-2008, 02:32 PM

Thanks Jim. It is not what my limited experience would think is a belt. From the inside of the car it does not have that hi pitched sound. Ive paid closer attention the past few days and it seems to only happen at ~20mph or higher.

Im going to check the screen possibilityout. Im quite novice so Im going to take a look and hopefully the reservoir is obvious. When I do this will I need to bleed the system? Im thinking maybe just removing the reservoir is not like emptying the system so only reattaching and refilling would be necessary.

Please let me know.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:15 PM

With the vehicle warmed - have you tried applying the brakes while turning the steering wheel. If it squeals - is it the same sound.

You mention it happening only when making a 'SWEEPING TURN".

Does it not do it any other time?

Proper Honda fluid used?

Old 01-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

I think if you find something to plug the ends of the hoses, you can keep the system filled. The bottom hose is at a sorta low elevation, so if you just leave it open, it'll probably drain (slowly). Find a couple suitable-size rubber stoppers or something?

Quick Reply: Squealing noise on sweeping turns