General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SRS+ABS light on Accord 96 EXR 2.2

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 06:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default SRS+ABS light on Accord 96 EXR 2.2

Hello people,

Long time that dont visit the forum. Was so long that even forgot the password LOL and the account recovery failed three times. I dont know why. Anyway, my previus user name was "teridian" without the _II. Perhaps administrators would prefeer only one account

I still have the Accorr 96 EXR Auto that told in the post about the not responding horn, which is still unserviced. In fact the car is barely in use due some issues. Of course I keep it clean, crank it every 10 days and go for a ride from time to time.

Well, just a simple question. I ve done a quick search and read other users having the same issue but didnt undertand the responses, plus, this issue is a bit different, I guess.

Today cranked the car and after a while BOTH, SRS and ABS lights went on. I turn off the car, then turned the key to II position without cranking and ligths still there. Turn on th car, ligths still there. Did that for two times, ligths just go on STEADY and that all.

Cant understand WHY two SEPARATED systems go in alarm at the same time. As I told, car has been not in use fo a while, but is far from water, moisture, since it "sleeps" in a garage.

As a fact, my previous post, that many member gently come with answers (mnay thanks) was about the horn. the prev owner said that horn worked from time to time then stop completely. At the forum was told to check relay, but no clicking sound or nothing. And that could be the steering wheel cables. Could this related to the SRS + ABS alarm

Car still brakes (I hope).

The main issue is here, Honda Dealers are NOT SERVICING cars of this old anymore. And the car is really complex, still compared to the very new ones. You dont get a good service for "imported" cars too easy and Accords of this year are rare here. So, well, I need to gather some information prior looking for a service.

Well, many thanks for your time on reading my post. Sorry for coming a year later just for another question. I know that is very sorta of annoying. Sorry.

Cheers,

Pedro.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:28 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Hi Pedro, I have the same car as you and have the same issues. No indication of what malfunctioned, just lights came on, wife says, oh those lights, they have been on a while. HMMMM,,anyway, i think the abs is a sensor, mine is the right front wheel, srs is most like ly a sensor behind the front bumper, that is what i got from the service dept when i took it by for a look see. Good luck.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Check the battery cables and be sure they are clean and tight, I know that a low voltage situation can trip the ABS (not sure about the SRS?).

Next you can check for stored codes - there is a two pin service connector on the pass side.

I'm going off how the 96 Accords are set up in the US - not sure if they are the same in Argentina or not.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:47 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Many thanks for your answers guys !!

Question, I clean the connections or eventually put a new frsh battery on the car, this ligths will turn off or are some kind of "latched" and need to be reset ?.
Battery is almost 3 years by now and yesterday, the car cranked slow but got it running fine. This car never let me down. Could be the "near flat" battery the colprit ?. The battery needs te be replaced, the main issue is that the car is not in use, so is easy to flat a battery ... I guess.

What wires suggest to check, the main ones ?.

About the bumper, Im waitting fro insurance to make some body repair because one idi++t hit me in the back and crushed the rear bumper a bit. NO LIGTHS at that point. I assume that SRS sensor ar on the front bumper ... Im right ?

I read hot to reset the code, not clear to me. I would appreciate if you can tell me how It should be done. And hot to pull codes.

another question, is this model OBD-II compatible ? or it is earlier.

But appart from that WHAT REALLY WORRIES ME is the ABS thing, is just a random alarm and ABS still working fine, of the ABS system is not longer working ?. I dont want to clear the code only, I want to fix it completely.

poorman,

Not sure, but this accords were imported from USA. I will put some photos. In fact is AT, which is RARE here and the "Honda of america" logo is put in rear on both sides of the car This came with the 2.2 engine and the AT has D3/D4. Has cruise control, not on the steering. In fact, steering has no controls appart from the horn, which doesnt work.
Cluster read in Km/h, not mph.

Many thanks. If I pull the codes I would write the results so can get more help.

Having this info is important, because I take the car for repairs and, just say, happens the mechanic just clear the codes and try to scam me saying he changed the ABS computer, something like that, that thing is likely to happen here. That is because try to learn as much as I can from you.

shame is Honda dealers are not taking this Accord for service anymore. I would trust in a Honda dealer rather than a random mechanic.

Many thanks guys !!!

Pedro.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure if your car is OBD-I or OBD-II - even though it was put together in the US dosen't mean anything if the car was being sold in another country....

So again I don't really know - you can look behind the ash tray and see if there is an OBD-II port. In the US - the 96 was OBD-II but also stil had the OBD-I service connector.

So yes, I would try to get the codes first. Then clean and inspect the battery cables - both ends of both cables. In the US many parts stores will test/charge batteries for free, so I would do that as well.

Then see what you have from there.

With the ABS light on, the brakes will still work - you just will not have the anti-lock.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:29 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Morning Pedro, I remember when my abs light was on, it was the abs motor low on brake fluid, i filled the little tank and the light went off. Hope this trick works for you. Good luck.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:47 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Many thanks,

God tips there to start diagnostics.

I'll try to put the results here so other members can get the information. I will take photos of the car so you can see. I'll check the ashtray and fluid

I have read here about the ABS motor and noises.

When I cold start the car, engine start around 2K RPM. After a few seconds, I hear a noise, like some sort of actuator, like a motor. Usually this sound happens once and lasts about 2 o 3 seconds, then stops The last time hovewer., I noticed that, a few seconds after the noise happened and STOPPED, the noise come back again for a short time, and stopped again. This "second time", as I remember, didn't happened before. Is this related to the issue ?.

Anyone can just remeber how pull codes in the 96 exr 2.2 ?. I read hear about a blue conector. Want to double-check that, dont want to mess with the systems on the car.

In case is OBD-II, what cheap tool would you suggest to pull codes out ?.

Many thanks,

Cheers

Pedro.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Do some google serches for the service connector - it will have all kinds of pic's and that.

If you can't find it or it is not there and only have the OBD-II port - there are some cheap scan tools that you can buy - at least here in the states they go for $30~$40.

Then there is also a way to jump the OBD-II port to get the ECU/PCM to give the old OBD-I codes.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well,

i have been asking here and there and I was told to disconnect the neg wire from the battery. Prior checking battery voltage was 11.44V which is already an issue. Last crank was 8 dias ago. Battery is about 2 years old, 12V 60Ah.

Take the negative off, wait few minutes and got an starter pack from Black & Decker connected to the battery to provide some juice. Battery read 12.4V now. Done both thing at the same time, gave the battery a bit of charge while neg is disconected.

Then put the neg again, hard to get it tigth. Guess if another problem there., started the car (started pack was connected to help the voltage) and ABS light went off but SRS ligth remain on.

Tried a second time, the same

ABS ligth is WEIRD, ALWAYS comes on when you turn the key. Sometimes goes off before cranking and sometimes go off after cranking. Some actuator makes noise and after a while ABS ligth goes off.

Now, when the ABS goes off before starting the car, when I crank it, ABS ligth goes on again and them goes off and remains off.

Tested brakes a bit in the garage, have enough room to do that at slow speed and the brake pedal vibrates when breaking hard.

But no "luck" with the SRS thing, remains ON and thats all

By now the car need at least a good battery. Check alternator and it is charging at 14.1V at idle, I think its normal. As soon as I turn the engine off, battery drops to 12.3V which is low IMHO..

Old 09-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Update

Ive called to get the battery changed and they told me that 14.1V is a bit high, they think that the alternator is bad. They expect around 13.5V. What voltage is expected during idling in a 96 Accord EX-R ?.

Thanks !!!

Quick Reply: SRS+ABS light on Accord 96 EXR 2.2