General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SRS light on

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 01:04 AM
Default SRS light on

I have been told that the SRS light coming on is common in Hondas. Is this true? I have a Civic that the light came on and a shop told me that the main module for the airbag system needed to be replaced. The part is $650. I also have a 2000 Accord V6 Coupe and the SRS light has been on for some time.

Am I to believe that this car too needs a new module? Should I just reset the light and see if it comes back on? What advice is out there? I am a bit nervous about poking around the system as I don't want to do something that will make the airbag deploy.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Old 01-02-2012, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Don't know that the modules on these is a known issue. I see more where a seat sensor has gone bad. Have you taken it to get the codes checked.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Cut/paste following link w/o trailing quote to access codes:

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=636707"

You can find used SRS modules for < $100 using car-part.com to search for a module. You may have to order by mail to get best price. I've done this on other parts w/o problems.

good luck

Old 01-02-2012, 11:23 PM

Thanks both.... A trip to a shop is next. I was just looking for some opinion before doing so. I took a Civic to a shop and they said the module was defective. I just want to be sure that is the case and this is not just a code that can be cleared.

Texas Honda, thanks for the link. I will alert the shop and ask them for the part number and look them up

Thanks again, Mike

Old 01-02-2012, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

The shop should tell you a code for why the SRS light is turning on. The error code could point towards any number of components in the air bag system.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Leeper
Am I to believe that this car too needs a new module? Should I just reset the light and see if it comes back on?...I am a bit nervous about poking around the system as I don't want to do something that will make the airbag deploy.
Yes, IMHO. Twice I've had the SRS light come on. Once after taking the seat out to clean the carpet. Checked the codes & it came up " Internal failure of the SRS unit." I cleared the codes & the light stayed off. The second time I bumped a parking lot lamp post going 2mph & the light came on after I restarted the car. Again, I cleared the code & the light has been off (except at start up) ever since.

Don't worry about the airbag going off if you're just reading or clearing the codes.

Last edited by Roader; 01-03-2012 at 08:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-03-2012, 10:37 PM

PAHonda: Thanks! I notified my shop of your post and they ordered an SRS unit for $100. They did state that they reset the light and assured me that the code is correct for faulty unit. This is for my 97 Civic that I am preparing for sale.

Roader: Thanks to you as well. I guess I am as much concerned in that I am not 100% sure I am looking at the right plug for which to jump and reset the SRS light. I feel completely comfortable poking around my 67 GTO, but so hesitant with these toy cars. I am taking my 2000 Accord in to have the codes checked on Friday. If they check the lights and no work is needed, I am OK paying $60 buck for that with the time I have (none!) to dedicate to it.

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL! I really appreciate it!

Mike

Old 01-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, if we had known it was a 97 Civic, we should have said to check your warranty booklet. I think back in 97 Honda had airbag warranty "for the life of the car". I think that was up to about 2002 or something like that.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:11 AM

Hi Jim, thanks for that thought. We are not the original owner, but I have the owners manual (not sure about warranty booklet). I have 2 Hondas with SRS issues. A 2000 Accord coupe that I have since corrected. It showed a code indicating a seatbelt. We reset the light and will deal with the seatbelt ifthe light returns. The other is a 97 Civic and that code returned a bad controller module (or whatever the 'brain' is called). The part is $650 so I am trying to find one from a salvage car and the first one we tried was also bad. Based on your post, I will check my booklets and/or call Honda and see if that is true. Thanks so much!

Mike

Old 01-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

For any of the factory warranties, you don't have to be the original owner. The car can change hands many times, as long as it hasn't been crashed & given a "salvage title".

Quick Reply: SRS light on