General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SRS Light

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Default SRS Light

Has anyone had a problem with their SRS light coming on? I’ve heard that it is related to the airbags and may be caused by leaving a cell phone on your seat. Is there any truth to that? I saw the post on how to clear the light. Is that usually all it is or does it come back on? What has it taken to fix and how much does it cost?

Thanks.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Default RE: SRS Light

the cell phone on the seat is a bunch of BS..... You can clear it fairly easily but the bigger question is why it came on in the first place.... Let us know what the year/model of your car is and get the code read if possible

Old 05-10-2007, 07:57 AM

It's a 2000 Accord LX 4 cylinder. Can I read that code with an OBD II scanner (which I have), or do I need something else (which I don't have)? Is that something that the local auto parts store would be able to read?

Old 05-21-2007, 04:48 PM

Rob2000AccordLX,

I have the same car and the same problem. The Honda repair guy told me to ignore it orto take the car into the dealer to have it reset.Sounds like it takes some special tool or maybe try this posting done by deserthonda: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/HOW...m_17470/tm.htm

*I have not trieddeserthonda's FAQ yet.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Yo Inthedump there is a lot of those 99-00 that have bad switches in the seat belt buckle;
It's a freebie fix from the dealer

Old 05-22-2007, 08:27 AM

hondadude,

I jumpered the MES and the lightremained off(blinked twice showing clear) for about 2 startups thereafter. However, this morning it is shining bright once again. Is this a known issue? Is there a"recall / servicenumber" that I need to refer to when taking the car into the dealer? Thanks.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:41 AM

Called Honda dealer and they stated that the seat belt buckle will be covered under a lifetime warranty if isthe problem. If the problem is electrical or the bags they want boo koo $$$. How can I inspect the seat belt buckle myself to see if this is the issue?

Old 05-24-2007, 10:25 AM

Wonder if I disconnect the seat belt electronics cable to get the SRS light to turn off? Would that affect the air bag deployment (system not deploying the bag because no seat belt is in use in the driver's seat)?

Old 05-24-2007, 02:52 PM

I had this problem with my 2000 accord V6. The SRS light kept coming back on after being replaced or reset..it happened at least 7 times. Honda paid for replacement while the car was under warranty, I was charged $100 for subsequent resets. I complained to Honda HQ here in the Northeast and they refunded about $400 that I had been charged by dealer to "fix" problem. Then I got a recall notice from Honda hq less than a year ago which admitted the SRS module in my car was defective. Local dealer replaced it about 6-7 months ago and it has been ok since then. You should check this recall out to see if your car is covered under it. I no longer have the exact date of the recall notice, sorry.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Default Update

I took the car to the dealer (Flow Honda Winston-Salem NC) today for the 90k service and they fixed the problem with the SRS light for nothing. They said it was covered under a lifetime warranty recall. They replaced the buckle, cleaned the belt, and reset the codes. It's good to see that Honda stands behind their products.

Quick Reply: SRS Light