General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalling 04 accord

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Default Stalling 04 accord

Anyone ever hear of a car stalling due to over filled freon in AC compressor? The reason I ask is that while I was filling the a/c with freon the idle of the car changed then it died. Any answers? Now the car runs fine for a few miles but at some point drops the idle and stalls. When it does this it will not start for around 30 mins or so.

Thank you

Old 09-20-2007, 03:19 PM
Default RE: Stalling 04 accord

and before I forget there isn't a Check Engine Light on.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I think that you're more likely to blow apart one of the high pressure rubber to metal connectors than stall out the engine ..... I just realized what you did ..... did you charge the low pressure side and hold the can upside down? This sends liquid refrigerant into the vapor side of the compressor ..... very bad!!!! It's called slugging and can blow out the compressor if done too long at a time. Did you use a guage? they have cheap charge cans with a trigger and guage at auto stores. I never heard of the compressor stalling an engine though, so there's probably another issue. If you think that the AC is overcharged, get a guage and set it properly. Don't plume the freon near any cops or HVAC business though because it's illegal to not reclaim freon, but you don't have the means to. Strange that there's no CEL.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:33 PM

no I charged it like the directions said. Can upright and it only fits on one of the nipples. I have never heard of anything like this but the engine stalled at the exact same time and had never done that. It started fine back then but I noticed my rpm were going haywire........up and down.......up and down........As I started dispersing the freon cloud it started to sound more normal. I thought I had it fixed but after stalling again today and making my fiance push it, I am not sure.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:41 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Is it possible that you knocked a vacuum line loose? I don't think that would make the car stall, but it would screw with the rpms. Sounds like the AC overcharge is coincidental, but that never helps find a problem. Look for small rubber hoses loose in the area where you were filling the freon.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:44 PM

headed out to look now. Thanks for the help. Will let you know.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:49 PM

Tell me if it runs fine when cold, but stalls out when it warms up..

When it doesn't start, does the motor crank over normally, or does it not even attempt to turn over?

Does it still stall if you leave the a/c turned off? If it does, then you've just ruled out a problem related to your A/C recharge.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:05 PM

ok I found a busted hose. The PCV hose has a huge hole in it and the tube has collapsed. Do you think this is the answer? I am going to replace it but was wondering if I should keep looking.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:07 PM

BTW, It runs fine Hot or Cold, and when it doesn't start it is cranking normal but acts like there is no spark or gas. Looked for Spark it had plenty. Also I only witnessed it stalling with the AC running. I haven't had it do it with it off.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:11 PM

Uhh yeah. PCV hose needs to be replaced if it has a large hole and is collapsed. That will probably fix your problem. I think they are cheap

Quick Reply: Stalling 04 accord