General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

stalling 98 accord

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Default stalling 98 accord

I have a 98 accord 4 door, 2.3L v-tec ,manual transmission.

I bought the car used a few month back, it has 155 000 miles on it and i am not shure what maintenance was ever done on it. I changed the timming belt and water pump about a month ago. I am recently feeling the car hesitating sometimes AND
when i am in traffic driving very slowly i feel the car might stall (although it never stalled yet but the rmps go almost to zero and i give gas) any ideas what the problem could be? if i need to change spark plus and wires then which ones should i use? I have seen these on ebay for 40 to $50 plus shipping of 10$ are they ok: JDM VISION Motorworks 9mm Racing spark plug wires and NGK G-Power Platinum Spark Plugs
or
JDM VISION Motorworks 10.2mm Racing spark plug wires and NGK G-Power Platinum Spark Plugs ($40)
or
JDM VISION Motorworks 10.2mm Racing spark plug wires and NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugsor
JDM VISION Motorworks 9mm Racing spark plug wires and NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs

They say all thses fit with my car...

OR WHAT ELSE CAN BE MY PROBLEM?
Should i change fuel filter or air filter etc, oris itsome other problem????

Old 10-12-2007, 10:55 PM
JDMSiR94
Unregistered
Default RE: stalling 98 accord

Yea so you could check and see how nasty for air filter, but thats obvisous. Your fuel filter might make you bog also.

As for the spark plus wires i would go back with what the factory had, because the only difference betweek all those wires are the size of the insulation around the actully wire inside. Just becase it says its a 10.2 doesnt make it any better then a 8.0. Also you plug wires are to have a certian ammount of resistence in them or the coil can have a hard time trying to get right spark you need.

Also as for spark plugs i would also go back with factory ones, because spark plugs have many ratings. Like you can buy a spark plug that has the wrong heat rating on it and you can either cause pre-ignition or you can cause the cyliders to heat more then they should, and that can cause fried pistions and in extreme case's pistions with quater size holes in them.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:50 AM

ok my car stalled twice now, once when i was going 25 miles per hour. And every so often i get this hesitation where i push the gas but the car doesnt want to move at all, i have to put it in neutral and wait like 10 seconds before it goes back to normal, any idea what this could be ?
if you need more info ask.
I have a check engine code for p0420 catalytic - i changed the front oxygen sensor but i think the cat is bad.... that is the only code that comes up...
i dont think this has anything to do with my problem i have had this code for 5 months. The car runs fine all the time except for this intermitent problem

Old 10-21-2007, 10:54 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Has the ignition switch recall benn done ?? Call the dealer, give them the vin # and have them chk out if it has been done ,,If not , have them do it ..

Old 10-21-2007, 02:40 PM

i did call the dealer when i bought the car (about 5 months ago) and they said there was no active recalls to be made, should i call again ?

Old 10-21-2007, 08:05 PM

If you think the cat is clogged you can try driving it with the O2 sensor removed. It will be loud but if it corrects the bogging/stalling then that would tell you that you have a blockage. As for the plugs and wires, I would suggest Napa. They were OEM style 7mm wires made from Belden cable and don't keep falling apart like the ones I got from Advance. I think you'll find that everyone will recommend OEM NGK plugs.

Was anything done besides the timing belt? My car acted like that after I sprayed TB cleaner into the intake; car ran like crap for days.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:09 PM

i unpluged my o2 sensor and the hesitation stopped

Old 10-23-2007, 04:22 PM

sounds like a bad CAT converter

Old 10-23-2007, 11:40 PM

I have heard to stick with the Sumitomo wires that are originally on your car, or many people here think that the NGK wires are good as well.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:39 AM

ORIGINAL: bougie_44

i unpluged my o2 sensor and the hesitation stopped
Save that o2 sensor. You may be able to re-use it when you replace your cat. Do a search on here as I know several members have recommended several decently priced cats.

Quick Reply: stalling 98 accord