General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stalling accord

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 01:46 PM
needhelp
Unregistered
Default stalling accord

a female friend away at school has a 2001? accord that has been stalling the past few weeks. gets worse as time goes on. Will re-start but getting more difficult. Happens at any speed, independent of acceleration. Worse before the car warms up but also worse when the day is warmer. First time it occurred was immediately after filling w/ gas. Garage did diagnostics and found nothing....said to take it to Honda. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Old 09-26-2006, 03:39 PM
Default RE: stalling accord

Welcome to the forum! It almost sounds like bad gas to me... Or a plugged fuel filter, If there are no engine codes/lights coming on I'd start by getting a can of "heat" engine water treatment and try that... Does the car "jerk" a bit and stall or just die and coast? Any strange noises or actions associated with it?

Old 09-26-2006, 03:48 PM
needhelp
Unregistered

Thanks for responding. I think the car just stalls and coasts. I had her use drygas but it keeps getting worse. She says the fuel filter is part of the fuel pump on her car.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:50 PM

If I'm not mistaken there should be a fuel filter inline somewhere else... but maybe not... not to sure on that year of accord.... get a fuel pressure guage and start up the car and let it idle, if all of the sudden the fuel pressure drops and the car dies then you know it's a fuel problem, maybe a pump or a plugged fuel filter... I assume that when the car is running it doesn't do anything strange like idle funny or anything?

Old 09-26-2006, 03:54 PM
needhelp
Unregistered

no it doesn't... thanks for the info

Old 09-26-2006, 04:44 PM

Here's an interesting point.... may not apply to you but who knows....

Affecting 188,463 cars, the most of any of the Accord's recalls, electrical contacts in the ignition switch could degrade due to high electrical currents passing through the switch upon ignition. Worn contacts could cause the engine to stall without warning, possibly resulting in a crash. This recall lasted through 1999 models as well

Old 09-26-2006, 05:09 PM
needhelp
Unregistered

thank you so much for the info.... I will contact her and check on the exact model year of her car.....may be late 90's

Old 09-26-2006, 05:12 PM
needhelp
Unregistered

what all years was that recall for?

Old 09-26-2006, 05:47 PM

it said that the recall was through 99 so I'm guessing that 00 and on is fine, I know that some older cars also had starting issues with the main relay but I don't believe it ever caused stalling... Hopefully it's an easy fix and she just has to get a recall!

Old 09-26-2006, 05:51 PM

Here's a recall list page for the various models... I just confirmed that it is prevelant through 99 but beyond that I don't know... Find out and let us know! Thanks.

http://www.internetautoguide.com/aut...nda/index.html

Quick Reply: stalling accord