General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Stalling Honda accord

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Stalling Honda accord

I have a 1990 Honda accord 2.2 FI. The problem is that it stalls when put into gear so,I installed new plugs,Cap and rotor and it didn't solve the problem. It doesn't do it all the time. The car, otherwise runs fine.What's weird is when it stalls, I have towait a few seconds before a restart otherwise it will notstart. Thanks for all suggestions.
John

Old 12-21-2006, 02:00 PM
Default RE: Stalling Honda accord

does it make a difference if the car is warm or cold? Any consitensy to when it happens? Carb or FI? did you check for vacuum leaks? When was the last time you replaced your fuel filter?

Old 12-21-2006, 03:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies

It stalls mostly when warmed up. I'll try the gas filter next.It's kind of weird especially ,when it won't start after it stalls and I have to wait like 5 seconds then it starts right up.(It's fuel injected).
Thanks,
John

Old 12-21-2006, 05:13 PM

when it fails to start does it turn over okay and everything? There are a few guys in here with 88 accords that have a similar problem, one was told that his fuel tank needed re-sealed.... If it's turning over just fine after it stalls but not starting then I'd check for spark when that happens, might be a fuel tank/pump issue... runing a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through there wouldn't hurt either

Old 12-21-2006, 06:19 PM

Yup I have the same problem.The dealer I brought it to said he pulled the drain plug an he got lots or rust. They told me they see a lot of that on these older Hondas.I'v been through all kinds of repairs to no avail.My carburator rebuild was back in feb of this year and it did need it because it was flooding all the time.The fuel filters were changed and will be changed when and if I see myself that the tank is bad.Let's help each other out and keep posting our findings.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:24 PM

sounds like you both may have a rust issue... it could easily happen and could easily plug the fuel pump and fuel filter... If you could just consitently reproduce the promblem it'd be a lot easier to diagnose.... you could just stick the fuel pump into a container and ground it....

Old 12-21-2006, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

What is the idle RPM in park?
It might be time for a throttle body clean and clean out the IACV
You can unplug the IACV and the idle should drop at least 200RPM

Old 12-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks to all.It's my daughters car and she said it stalls mostly when cold. I'm going to change the fuel filter and see if that does anything.When it stalls even when warm It will crank but nothing then I turn it off count to 10 and it starts up. It like resets or something.This car owes me nothing has over 250,000 miles and otherwise runs great.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:47 PM

I'd also do like Hondadude suggested and clean the throttle body, IACV and EGR valves

Old 12-27-2006, 04:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok I took apart the IAC and screwed it out and it solved the problem. I am still going to change the fuel filterfor insurance.This forum really helped me out. Thanks a million.
John

Quick Reply: Stalling Honda accord