General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalling at stop?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Default Stalling at stop?

I have a coworker with a 92 accord f22b2... I have searched for this problem and gotten a halfway definitive anwser in another thread, but would like to see if someone can chime in. The car idles fine at startup and runs great untill warmed up. But then any time you go to slow down or stop it will stall out and will die every single time unless put into neutral... Then at take off its fine, other than the occasional puttering off the line... They bought the car with a blown motor and bought one of those online used motors and had it installed... Its been taken to two shops and neither one could tell them whats wrong(which i think is b.s.).
We work in a fairly high traffic multi stoplight part of town, and i dont wanna see them get hit while the vehicle stalls out randomly. So any help would be great... thanks

Old 06-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

First I'd check a few things...
- vacuum leaks? fix em.
- dirty throttle body bore & throttle plate? clean em.
- throttle plate MUST close (cannot use throttle cable as idle adjust).

Then adjust the base idle. Should be a thread about that somewhere - I've posted it a few times for different people.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:48 PM

Its not the idle though... It idles just fine... Around 900 rpm... Only time it stalls is when slowing down or stopping after the car is fully warmed up, and it doesnt do it at all untill then. When put into neutral when the symptoms are starting as you are slowing down it stops the stalling completly, or going in reverse, or taking off, it doesnt stall out, or drop idle, or anything. Im not looking to just bypass the problem by turning the idle up, because i doubt turning the idle up will do anything. Its a fairly new motor, only having 60k documented miles when it was purchased... And it was installed by a reputable local shop... Someone said something in another forum about a tranny lockup solonoid??? Im still trouble shooting so any help would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. They took it to a local shop and had it looked at, and the shop was suppose to have tried to fix it.. They obviously didnt though.. Because its doing the same exact thing it was put in there...

Old 06-16-2010, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Well, it's the idle-control system that's supposed to take some action to prevent stalling when you take your foot off the gas & RPM drops to idle.

I've found Honda idle-control systems only work real well when the IACV is in the "sweet-spot" of it's control range. When the BASE idle is wrong, the IACV can do it's thing to keep a nice idle when nothing is happenning. But preventing a stall on over-run is more difficult for the system to handle.

I think on the 92 there's also some kinda valve ("boost" valve?) on the other end of the manifold plenum, that's also involved somehow. Check if that needs to be cleaned out?

Old 06-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, I'll get drilled for asking this. "The car idles fine at startup and runs great untill warmed up". Once the car warms up the egr circut/system comes into play. The engine put into it only had 60K miles, did the new engine come with the intake manifold, valve, ect?

Old 06-16-2010, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

(Why would you get drilled for asking that?)

The EGR is supposed to be closed at idle. So what if you're driving along & you take your foot off the gas. RPM drops to idle but the EGR is sluggish (dirty?) so it takes a moment to close. Open EGR at idle would make it stumble, maybe stall. Worth checking out.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:14 PM
Default 91 honda accord lx manual transmission keeps stailling

I have a 91 honda accord lx maual transmission the check engine light just came on the other day and then when stopping at a light or stop sign it stalls if u don't give it gas. It starts right back up after stalling? ? It hasn't had a tine up in 3 yrs meaning spark plugs and wires could that b the problem or what could b the problem

Old 05-31-2012, 09:07 PM

This happened to me today! My engine was "chirping" and bucking a few times, I was on my way to the garage and it stalled while stopped at a red light! My friend thinks it might be mice (as we live in a wooded area) I was lucky and it restarted ok and I made it to the shop i'll know more tomorrow.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:23 PM

Update, come to find out my issue was from a faulty air compressor that was put in last month. The fan completely froze up. It was brand new so it's under warranty. Not sure if this helps...can't wait to get my car back

Old 06-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Tanya
I have a 91 honda accord lx maual transmission the check engine light just came on the other day and then when stopping at a light or stop sign it stalls if u don't give it gas. It starts right back up after stalling? ? It hasn't had a tine up in 3 yrs meaning spark plugs and wires could that b the problem or what could b the problem

Tanya- If the CEL is on, get the code(s). See the "Common DIY Threads" sticky at the top of this section for "how to". Once you have the code(s) we can go from there.