General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start delay

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 02:52 PM
PizzaFoundry
Unregistered
Default Start delay

97 Accord LX 2.2 manual trans, 110k miles. Last year the starter began failing to run and eventually completely died. It was replaced with a Napa 'reman' starter which has given no trouble since.

About 6 months ago we began to notice that now and then, when turning the key to the full start position, the actual start function seemed to "delay" for maybe 1/4, 1/2 second or so. The first position of the ignition switch always lights up the normal indicators correctly, and the fuel pump can be heard to run and then stop every time correctly. But sometimes, you can turn the key all the way to start, and nothing at all happens for a very slight period of time.

Recently, it seemed to get progressively worse; the delay time went to maybe a full second before the starter was energized. After a few occurances of this, I then tested by making a series of starts and eventually was able to cause it to completely fail to energize the starter. When this happened, it was as before; there is no starter solenoid noise, no other noise other than the normal relay noises from the dashboard. However, the usual pre-start indicators were all still lighting up, still fuel-pumping, etc.

After checking the usual: cleaning and tightening battery clamps, remove and replace main lead on starter, checking other wires to starter for tightness, I then removed the clutch interlock relay under the dash, disassembled it and cleaned the contacts, and reinstalled it. I'm not convinced that made any real difference, but since then I haven't had any "delays" longer than maybe 1/2 second. And again, the delay is present only sometimes.

It doesn't seem to be related to whether the car is stone cold, hot, right after sitting, etc. It pretty much happens all the time, though again it may be a little more likely to happen when cold in the morning.

It feels to me like maybe a dirty relay contact somewhere else perhaps, or maybe even a flaky ignition switch I suppose, however, the ignition switch was in fact replaced several years ago on a recall.

I did search this forum and read the one post also similarly titled about delayed start, but I'm not convinced we're looking at a starter issue here... there is no solenoid engagement noise before the delay, though I suppose there still could be an issue with the solenoid itself. There are no replaceable parts on this starter as far as I know, isn't that true?

Thanks

Old 11-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Check for loose/dirty connection at the starter signal wire - the small wire at the starter that triggers the starter motor to start running?

I agree if it were bad contacts in the starter solenoid, you'd hear that solenoid pull in "clunk" but then the motor wouldn't run.

Flaky ignition switch? The recall simply got you a new copy of the same ignition switch - it was not redesigned. So the same problem is possible again & again.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

When you push in the clutch, there is a switch that allows the starter to engage.

If you find that the problem comes back, you can short the connector to it. Just make sure that your car is in neutral when trying to start.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:20 PM
mttor123
Unregistered

I have the same problem with mine same year eng & tran
It was delaying for a while now it just clicks and after I turn the key off and
on several times it hits this is with the clutch disengaged the whole time
any answers ?

Old 11-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Do you hear one click that comes from the starter when you turn the key to start? If so, then the starter solenoid and contacts are could be worn out. They can be replaced pretty easily.

Do as suggested above, make sure all ends of both battery cables have clean and tight connections. Check that the two connections on the starter (one is the + battery connection) are clean and tight.

If you get the one click, you can have someone hold the key in the start position. Hit the starter with the handle of a screwdriver with light/medium force. If the starter turns the engine, then you pretty much verified a starter solenoid problem. This is the 'caveman' test for the starter.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:49 AM
PizzaFoundry
Unregistered
Default Not solenoid

No, as my OP indicated, when the fail occurs there is NO sound from the starter solenoid which would indicate that is not the problem.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Don't rule out the starter solenoid just yet. You don't hear the starter solenoid pulling in, but that's just one way the solenoid might fail.

So maybe the problem can still be the starter solenoid, but it doesn't energize it's own coil right away. Try the caveman test, it can't hurt.