General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Motor or Ground Wire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 03:02 PM
Unhappy Starter Motor or Ground Wire?

I have a 2003 Honda Accord EX, 4 cyl. which usually takes an extended crank to start. Couple months ago, seemed it was taking 'extra' long to me. Then, a month ago, after stopping for gas battery died, got a jump, replaced next day. Back to usual. Last week, 'extra' long crank time starts again, occurring intermittently. Battery checked - all good. Last night, car started to crank then nothing. All lights, accessories okay. Shut it off for a few seconds, tried again. Started as usual. This morning started fine. I'm being advised that it may be the starter motor (and will be $$$$) and that it could go on like this for months before it gives out. I'm reading a lot in forums that it could be a simple ground wire. Any ideas? Thank you!

Old 08-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

I'm easy to confuse.

So you turn the key to start and nothing happens - the starter does not spin the engine over?

Or - you turn the key to start and the starter spins the engine over but it does not start up and run?

Old 08-26-2012, 04:56 AM

Thanks for reply Poorman212. The answer is 'Or'.

On average, the car cranks for 2 - 3 seconds at normal cranking speed before the engine starts. On the stall day, I turned the key and it started to crank over for the usual 2-3 seconds, then silence.

I’ve read through similar posts, but they seem to go off in a different direction or if they sound like the same problem, no solution comes back. And as per suggests in similar posts, I’ve checked the battery connections, fuses, and the fuel pump engages. I don’t get any CEL. Do I understand correctly that I’ll have to go to Autozone (or similar) to have OBD-2 error codes read for a 2003?

This Honda is automatic transmission, has remote entry and alarm system, and it was about 91 degrees that afternoon.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:46 AM

From what i have read i believe you have a bad connection?
From the battery to the starter,check those wires very good cause your getting juice to the starter but just not enough!

Old 08-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

So you are holding the key in the start position and the starter stops spinning after a few seconds?
Can you then turn the key of, then go to start again and the starter spins?

Old 08-26-2012, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
So you are holding the key in the start position and the starter stops spinning after a few seconds?
Can you then turn the key of, then go to start again and the starter spins?
Yes, then I turned the ignition off, waited a few seconds (and yelled "no, not now!) and then started it up again with no problem.

Last edited by MLaurencin; 08-26-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by my1st.honda93
From what i have read i believe you have a bad connection?
From the battery to the starter,check those wires very good cause your getting juice to the starter but just not enough!
Thanks, I'm going to have another set of eyes and hands look at the connection, too.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Always a good idea to check ALL ground connections(not just the immediate ones)

Old 02-10-2013, 12:12 PM

Hey did you ever found the issue with your car. I have a similar issue. Sometimes car crank right away and sometimes there is a big delay before car start craking.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:17 PM

I just started having a similar issue. The starter motor works just fine. Cranks every time I turn the key at a normal speed. Sometimes the engine fires right away, some times it takes a few seconds, some times it takes several seconds. I'm thinking fuel pump?

Quick Reply: Starter Motor or Ground Wire?