General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter problem??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 06:59 PM
Default starter problem??

i need some help on my starter issue. first my car starts just fine when it is cold outside40 degrees and below. but this problem started before winter started anyway. ok, today was around 50+ degrees outside and when i started my car this morning(30 degrees)it was fine,but after driving around for a bit and turned it off to buy something and comeback it wouldnot start. what it does is it will click but not turnover or try to,it just like dead,you know like if you forget to press the clutch pedal dead kindda thing.i have power on all my dash instruments,radio,etc but it just would not start.i have a portable battery booster to jump my car(wife bought for me for x-mas). my battery is new cuz i thought that was the problem before but itwas not. have not driven my car for sometime because itsbeen snowing and really cold out and i walk to work so no need to drive. on weekends thoughwhen the road is not slick i'll drive my car and it will start just fine. my wife even made a comment saying that since she bought the portable battery booster my car will "start everytime now" thathas have been true till today. it went back to its problem again,i usedthe PB twice and it worked but it took awhile to get it to start. i don't think doing that everytime is good for the battery or the starter.my car starts as soonas i get a jump from another vehicle though. so what do you guys think the problem is? the starter motor or the solenoid? even the alternator? i just though the alternator might NOT be it since ido notseem to loose any electicalpower on all my stuff,it stays normal.if it is the starter motor or solenoid,can both be replace individually or together? is there any tips on what to look out for(i mean that is not on the manual) when i do this myself? thanks guys,hope you all could help me out

Old 01-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: starter problem??

The starter solenoid is the likely culprit. Have someone turn and hold the key in the start position while you lightly/medium tap the starter with the end of a screwdriver. Hit the end where the electrical connections are at. If the starter engages and the car starts, replace the starter solenoid and the two contacts. Its a pretty simple DIY procedure.

I found mine on ebay for <$30.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

also clean and reconnect the batt and starter connections...corrosion on the contacts can cut the voltage 30% or so...

Old 01-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

As mentioned, check the cables/connections first.

If the solenoid is shaped like this one,[pic] it is an ND brand
I got lucky and found a salvage yard that had the contacts for $6 each.
The dealer should be able to get you the contact set or local auto electric shop.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5417/D52D7C9E280C43AEAE3AA704D5EEFCD8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-17-2009, 09:44 PM

thanks guys,i'll definitely do all the suggestions you'd given. hopefully i do not have to change the solenoid just the contacts. although its beena very long time if everthat the solenoid has beenreplaced....everthanks again.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You can buy the contacts online; ebay, sherco auto supply, and other sources. Easy diy. Sherco had some pics of repair last time I looked, but similar pics are available online w/ a google search.

If you hear a sharp click, the solenoid is fine, but contacts are not making a good electrical path (entire starting current must flow through the contacts). As mentioned, make sure the battery cable connections are clean and tight as this can have similar symptoms to worn contacts.

good luck

Old 01-18-2009, 01:33 PM

i do heara sharp click, now when you say contact is that the one that is connected on the top part of the solenoid(the one with a protective booth that is on top of the solenoid)? i check that this morning,i disconnected it just to make sure its clean and tight,but when i was loosening it,the connection was a bit loose(was there suppose to be a slight freeplay there?)so i took the nut off then tigthen the other nut the secures it to the body.i was hoping that could be the problem but it still did not start.BTW,my car did start right away first thingthis morning from a cold startbut after that... nope. back to the contact,so is that the one that is connected from the negative(red)side of the battery? ok,just an update,i did tap the solenoid on the (i think is the contact) while my wife hold on the key on start position, it did not start, but i guess because i just tigthen that nut on the contact or i just broke that contact by tightening it? should i just buy the contact and go that way first and see what happens or should i just replace the whole solenoid? thanks again.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Look at picture supplied by hondadude. The contacts are the two half moon shaped objects on LH and RH sides of the house-shaped enclosure. The solenoid is the piece lying on the towel w/ a copper ring at it's base. When solenoid engages the copper ring bridges to both contacts to close the start circuit.

The problem arises when one contact wears slightly more than other, and ring only makes contact w/ one leaving circuit open.

If you have a Nippodenso starter the contacts are like the picture above. The Mitsuba starter uses a permanent sealed solenoid assy that is not repairable to my knowledge. It's a round unit.

good luck

Old 01-18-2009, 04:40 PM

thanks TexasHonda, took out the starter solenoid and checked out the contacts,and one side was worned out as you mentioned,so time to get menew contacts. too bad its sunday and stores are close. also mine is nippondenso. check out sherco and might get it from them if nothing is available out here at my area. i could always count on you guys,thank you.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:32 PM

just to let you guys know that i got my car running againi just replace one contact on my solenoid and all is back to normal, it only costed me $4.00. thanks to all you guy's help, i really appreciated it.

Quick Reply: starter problem??