General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Starter won't disengage

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

The Mitsuba starter is different than the Denso. I wasn't sure which starter you had.

The inspection of the overrunning clutch assembly and greasing of the gears is the same as the Denso though. So, inspect the movement first before even deciding to re-grease it for re-installation.

Molybdenum disulfide is an additive, used for protection of parts when they're loaded heavily.

General purpose white lithium grease may not provide the same level of protection under heavy load. There are lithium grease or other grease with Molybdenum disulfide as an additive. The bearing grease may be better; but, with all grease it depends on the additives and base.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:12 PM

The overunning clutch assembly springs in and out smoothly, is that what I am looking for?

Old 07-18-2012, 06:14 PM

Oh yah, the wheel bearing grease is High Temperature Wheel Bearing Grease (blue in color, my dad thinks it might be havoline?)

And I gathered that you can't check the contacts on a mitsuba without breaking it? Is that correct?

Old 07-18-2012, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You should be able to look at your starter and tell. This is Mitsuba starter solenoid. Confirm you have a cylindrical rather than rectangular solenoid.

good luck

Old 07-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

The bendix gear "goes back" by a spring on the bendix. When the starter motor spins, centrifugal force on a "splined" shaft makes it...well spin "out" to contact the flywheel/ring gear. When the starter motor stops spinning the "spring" pushes it back.

So as suggested, more than once, try cleaning and lubing the bendix shaft and see what you have from there......even if you don't already have carb/brake cleaner and hi-temp lube, you spend ~$10 for this.

If that doesn't work then you can start rebuilding the one you have or buy a rebuilt/used one....only out the ~$10....and that stuff can and will be used at some point on something else.

How long do they last.....all depends. I've yet to replace a starter on my 3rd gens or my 95, guess I'm lucky....knocks on wood now.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

This thread is going to get confusing.......I've merged the two threads about the starter bendix together.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:53 PM

Yeh, sorry about that. I keep getting rushed into making decisions.

Luckily I decided to clean the bendix gear assembly before trying anything else.

Took it for testing and all is okay as far as I know. I will report back when it is on the car.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:02 AM

Just got back from a drive in the car.

Other than a little stutter right after I put gas in it (im guessing trash in fuel system where it was ran out of gas, prolly need a ew filter) and the brakes losing a little pressure when sitting on a hill, all was well.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Old 08-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 92 ex 5 sp

so i just went and got a used tire put on today.

when i got in to start and leave sounded like the clutch and the starter were grinding when i depressed the clutch...

never had an issue until today..

so it only makes noise when i press in on the clutch noise goes away while driving.
sounds like starter is trying to engage when i press the clutch.

and it also while shifting into 2-5 acts like (during shifting while clutch is depressed) that the car wants to shut off during shifts. causes radio to shut off and you can almost feel the car wanting to shut off while doing this...

i can only surmise that the starter is trying to stay engaged and that the clutch isnt releasing far enough to seperate from starter... does any of this make sense or sound familiar??? please help.. if its only the starter i can deal with that for now, i can take out and have checked...

Old 08-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

The only way the starter would "try to start" would be when power is sent to it.

So with the KO-EO, press the clutch in - are you getting voltage to the small wire on the starter?

Quick Reply: Starter won't disengage