General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Starting problem on 97 accord se

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Question Starting problem on 97 accord se

Engine cranks but won't start. May sputter a little but won't catch. First time it did it was a week ago. I changed the coil to distributer wire and it started right up. The next day I couldn't get it going after work. It seemed to be getting spark so I changed the fuel filter. Once again it started up and ran for a couple days. Seemed to fire up easier when engine was cold. I can hear the fuel pump on start up and I bench tested the main relay. I also tried a different relay from the junk yard and no luck. I took off a plug wire and put a spare plug in it to watch it spark. Spark seemed weak so I did a resistance check on coil. It came up within specs for primary and secondary resistance. I changed the cap and rotor and the spark still looks yellow and weak. When I checked the plugs they are soaked with fuel. Can the coil still be bad even though it passed the tests. Are there any others components That can cause this situation.Two weeks ago I did the head gasket and valves. The car ran flawlessly for the first week so I cant see the connection with my current problem. When it runs it runs perfect. I have not been able to start it this whole afternoon. Anybody have any other ideas?

Old 04-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

I'd suspect the coil because I've seen this before; the coil will 'test' okay.........yet breakdown and internally short when under load.

But just for grins and giggles check the connections at the ignitor in the dist.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A better test for spark is to use an inductive timing light on one spark plug leak. If no flash occurs, the spark plug is not firing. Testing plug installed places higher resistance (dense air under compression) and makes plug harder to fire. This test is not foolproof either, as I know of at least one instance of no-start where the spark passed this test.

I have also seen coil that will fire plug in air, but not hint at starting vehicle.

good luck

Old 04-11-2009, 08:15 PM

I am leaning toward replacing the coil. The icm wiring looks good. In a breakdown of the distributer in my Haynes manual I see there is a CKP/TDC/CYP sensor. Is this a nonreplacable part of the distributer. My uncle had to replace a TDC sensor on one of his American made cars with a similar problem. Could this starting problem be the result of a bad distributer and what are the signs of a bad distributer. I need to get my hands on a timing light for the spark test. I do have spark but just not sure how good it is.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

There should be a code stored in the ECU if the sensor is bad. Use a thin paperclip to short the service connector in the link I pasted below.

http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

Count the flashes (if any) and post them on here.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:48 PM

I had Advanced autoparts scan my ECU a couple days ago while the car was running. Will the Ecu throw a code when cranking the engine in a no start situation.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:52 PM

My ECU is behind the ashtray and there is no service connector next to it. Where can I find it?

Old 04-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by freezerman
My ECU is behind the ashtray and there is no service connector next to it. Where can I find it?
Disregard that post...PAhonda is thinking OBD1 94-95 models

Old 04-12-2009, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

Hondadude

I thought that the 96/97 also had a two-pin service connector under the glove box. Since his car isn't running, shorting the connector would be a quick check for error codes.

The OBD2 connector behind the ash tray will give more detailed error codes if you have a scanner.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:32 AM

I got a hold of a timing light and it flashed on all the cylinders while cranking. I took out all of the plugs and they were all soaked with what appeared to be fuel. Engine appears to be very flooded. I cleaned the plugs with brake cleaner and I'm letting the engine dry out before I replace the plugs. I am going to look for the service connector to try to read a code now. Over the last few months it would idle rough when starting a hot engine that sat for several minutes. It did throw a code once and it was a misfire on cylinder 3. I replaced all the plugs and it made no difference. Since I owned the car it never had a no start problem until now. After doing the head gasket and valves 2 weeks ago it ran flawlessly for the first week. The rough idle on hot start seemed to have gone away. Now the bastard won't start. This is driving me nuts! Please give me some more ideas. I really appreciate all the help I have gotten so far.

Quick Reply: Starting problem on 97 accord se