General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Steering Gear - Boot Torn - New Unit or New Boot Only?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 06:40 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Steering Gear - Boot Torn - New Unit or New Boot Only?

Hello;

This morning I discovered the boot on the rod that connects to the tie rod - the steering gear, I believe - torn. Seeing a ball in a socket after slicing the boot completely off, I understand the need for oil in this unit and see why the boot is important.

QUESTION: Do I need a new unit (steering gear), or will just getting a new boot and making sure it's full of oil take care of it? I should add that I'm concerned whether this is why my car makes a thumping noise only when giving gas while in gear (please read separate thread of similar title as underlined).

Thanks for your help, fellas and fellahs.
~Daniel

Old 01-20-2012, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You can purchase a replacement boot and install. A ball joint lifter or fork is necessary to separate the tie-rod ball joint. Honda boot is worth the extra cost.

Use a pair of oring picks or other sharp tools to install the ring seal at top of boot. A good pick set is cheap at walmart, et al.

good luck

Old 01-20-2012, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

You're talking about #8 in this picture?

That boot isn't supposed to be full of oil. Only air.

If you can convince yourself that it hasn't been open very long, then OK. The question is how much dirt has gotten in there. Clean it as best you can, maybe put some grease on the ball/socket.

If that boot fills with oil, it means the rack piston seals are leaking. The PS fluid isn't supposed to be out in those boots.

Last edited by JimBlake; 01-20-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:45 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes, #8

Damn! Thinking it was suppose to be full of oil since I found oil in it (through the tear), I figured it was useless and so I cut the rest off! Lol, damn. Now that I know otherwise, leaving it alone and not replacing it would have been fine with me as the car is 21 years old.

The steel that was once covered looks brand new, and so I'm hoping to come up with a home remedy (like ceram-wrap or something) instead of having to spend almost $20 to buy a new boot. Any suggestions, as I would like to keep grit out of the ball and socket.

Thanks!! You guys are awesome!

Old 01-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Well, always like to fix things the right way but......I think I've seen "split boots" for rack and pinion's before, or maybe that was a dream.....

If it is leaking, all this is going to do is maybe keep it from getting worse quicker. The boot is to keep dirt/sand and that from getting on the shaft and then be pulled into the seal.....but it sounds like the seal is already leaking "some".

Last edited by poorman212; 01-21-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Sorry, I thought you were talking of tie-rod ball joint boot.

Replacing steering gear boot is not terribly difficult. I can't imagine any poorboy solution is going to last. There are several posts on replacing the steering gear boot to be found. Check youtube videos also.

Lucas PS stop leak will cure some leaks. It's worth a try.

good luck

Old 03-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i had to replace a torn boot today, 21.50 at napa.

i took the wheel off to get a little more room to work. all you have to do is loosten the adjuster nut on the tie rod and spin it out the same way it adjusts, slide the old boot off and get the new one in. by far the worst part was getting the new boot over the rack and pinion on the inside edge.

make sure you count the threads on the tie rod so you remember how many turns to go back in. my girlfriend was there watching me work and i told her to remember the number and she forgot so i had to guess a little haha.

anyone know if 1/4 inch of toe in is a good setting?

Old 03-17-2012, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Toe should be at zero degrees, so you don't have excessive tire wear.

You may want to get the car aligned.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i should be alright without an alignment i'm only off by 1 turn at the tie rod at most, i couldent remember if it was 3 or 4 threads showing. i'll spin it one more time to zero it out.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:01 AM

I am having a very hard time putting the wider end of the boot on the rack and pinion. Can anyone guide me to put it on? Please help.

Quick Reply: Steering Gear - Boot Torn - New Unit or New Boot Only?