General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

steering wheel shakes! :[

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 02:44 PM
hatingmyhonda
Unregistered
Default steering wheel shakes! :[

heyyy,
so i have a 96' accord lx... done more than enough work on it. Replaced headgasket, bearings, rotors, transmission work, and recently replaced drivers side axle...& all of this work has been in the last year! I knowww hondas run forever but i certainly got quite a lemon..

but anywaysss enough of me venting, my current problem is.. well. i dont know. haha hoping you guys could tell me. My steering wheel shakes a bit when breaks are applied. Simular to when my rotors were in need of replacement a few months back. I got the rotors replaced and have been asking around what could be causing my steering wheel to shake. Someone mentioned that a certain bolt may have not been put back in the installation of my new rotors.. not sure if that could have anything to do with it, but i have had so much front end work done on this car (anddd not in a single accident) all has randomly went. I am just dumbfounded as to what my problem is now! and being a girl, i have been screwed over more than enough times with ******* mechanics, so if you guys could inform me so i will be firmilular witht the problem so maybe that wont happen this time.. that would be amazinggg! :]

Old 01-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: steering wheel shakes! :[

Shaking when hitting the brakes is usually caused by warped rotors. When I had new ones installed, they got warped pretty quickly. I took it to honda and had them machine the rotors and the problem hasn't come back.

The causes for rotors warping are from excessive heat or quick cooling of the rotors. Driving through big puddles right after braking can get enough water on the rotor to cool it quickly, so try to avoid doing that. The other posibility is that the caliper is sticking and the brake pad is being held up against the rotor when you release the brake. Have a service center grease the caliper pins and make sure that the two pins weren't switched around when they initially did the rotor job.

I would think that worn suspension parts would cause driving problems all of the time, but service stations can identify suspension problems pretty quickly as well.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:45 PM

yeah, the rotors are warped or installed improperly. high quality rotors(at least honda oem quality) last very long. if the corrosion wasn't cleaned off the hub when the rotors were replaced that can cause some runout. those bolts you are talking about are rotor screws. they are used by us to cut rotors on the car and ensure zero runout.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:20 AM

Also I wouldn't go to the same mechanic that replaced my rotors recently if I were you. The new mechanic should be able to tell you if the work was actually done or not. Too many mechanics are so dishonest that they will not do any work at all and still charge you for it.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:39 PM
hatingmyhonda
Unregistered

Thanks so much for your posts. I went today and i need my other axle replaced, along with new rotors (yep, the ones i replaced 4 months ago areee already warped) and work to my rear drums. I think it is time that i sell this one tho, ive put in over 4,000$ worth of workinto this car just to keep it on the road. Its stupid of me to be broke again because of my car. how much could a 96' with 127k miles go for? im thinkin 3500 or best offer?

Old 01-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Are you taking your car to a dealership garage or some other mechanic?

What did they say was wrong with the axle?

As for the rotors, call a honda dealership and ask them what they charge to machine the rotors. It should be around $50 to $100 dollars. This should take care of the vibration problem.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

your front rotors are NOT gonna be cheap on a 96 accord as those are cast into the hub if it is a I4........

drums are more complicated than disk but you can do them yourself easily if you have someone to help you.. and have a spring pulling tool

Old 01-24-2008, 06:53 PM

i feel bad for you... come to my shop in chicago, i'll hook you up with discounted honda rotors and bearings or just resurface the rotors on the car if they are thick enough and do the work for free.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:39 AM

^ NICE! Sometimes I wish I lived in or nearChicago!