General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Steering Wheel Shaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 09:32 PM

Hey guys ... sorry for the delayed reponse. I took it back to the shop and had them balance the front 2 tires only and they came out perfect (no balancing required). Another mechanic at the shop drove the car and noticed some minor sounds (ball bearing) coming from the left side of the car. However, he only drove the car up till 45mph.
Tonight I drove the car on the highway (first time since the rotor/pad) install and I noticed significant vibrations on the steering wheel when I went over 60mph. It was actually very very annoying and never had noticed that before.
In regards to Jim's suggestion on shaking the front tire until I hear some sound ... i did not hear anything when I shook that tire.
Kris -- I did not get new wheel bearings installed as I was not told that anything was wrong with them when the initial mechanic changed the rotors/pads. I have a 97 honda accord and honda decided to make it complicated when they designed the placement of rotors/wheels bearings. My rotors don't float rather they are pressed on which according to the mechanic takes time to remove and the wheel bearings are behind the rotors.

I'll probably take my car to the shop tomorrow and tell them the situation especially now that I noticed significant steerin wheel vibrations when driving over 60mph. I might ask them about replacing the front of wheel bearings and tell them I ain't paying labor to get the rotors removed again cuz they should've checked or suggested replacing the wheel bearings. Fu** cars are such a pain to deal with ... you fix one thing and another issue arises.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Swap the tires around to see if the shaking seems to move to a different corner. That's an easy thing to check & if it DOES move that rules out wheel bearings.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

" I did not get new wheel bearings installed as I was not told that anything was wrong with them when the initial mechanic changed the rotors/pads. I have a 97 honda accord and honda decided to make it complicated when they designed the placement of rotors/wheels bearings. My rotors don't float rather they are pressed on which according to the mechanic takes time to remove and the wheel bearings are behind the rotors."

How did they do the job and not change the bearings?

Old 11-03-2009, 05:10 PM

Chris - I'm not sure but they were able to change the rotors without having to remove the bearings.

But got good news. I went back to the shop yesterday and told them about the issue where the wheel shaking was significant when driving over 60mph. They took the front wheels off and another mechanic at the shop figured out the issue. The mechanic who installed the rotors put in a new bolt which held the rotors in. The new bolt however was protruding out and hitting the wheel on the passenger side and it was noticable cuz it was causing an indentition into the wheel. Long story short, they replaced the bolt with one that was flush and not portruding out. I then drove the call on the highway and wow what a difference, it was sooo much better.
So yeah that was the issue.
Thanks for all your help.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:13 PM

That is not a place I would go back to. I know the bolts (two per rotor) they changed. It is made to go flush into the rotor and is tapered. It helps to align the rotor into the correct position. They must have used a common standard head bolt (no taper to line up the rotor) which would only have the hub to center the rotor.

I get a little annoyed at shops which do lazy fixes. They make it hard to troubleshoot as it is not something you would consider a professional mechanic to do. How they removed the hub to get to the rotors without installing new bearing is another issue. The bearings had to be removed from the hub(On a 97 Accord) to gain access to the rotors and they were never intended to be reused in such a way. The dealership I used to work at, would at times push a car out to clear a host with the axle removed while waiting for parts generally and a few times this ruined the wheel bearing. They are fairly fragile.

Last edited by kris_loehr; 11-04-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:25 AM

Dang, you are lucky it didn't tear up your wheel. Some grease monkeys obviously have no idea what they are doing. Why didn't they use the original bolts/screws? They probably either lost them or stripped them with an overpowered impact wrench.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:51 PM

So basically I was right? I said it was the rotors and technically it was. Yeah, Im awesome!

Old 11-04-2009, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
That is not a place I would go back to. I know the bolts (two per rotor) they changed. It is made to go flush into the rotor and is tapered. It helps to align the rotor into the correct position. They must have used a common standard head bolt (no taper to line up the rotor) which would only have the hub to center the rotor.

Kris you must be thinking of the rotor over hubs,( 2 tapered phillip screws head ) , he has a 97 accord ,hub over rotors , there are 4 bolts , 14 mm head that hold rotor to hub ,,

Also you can remove the complete hub which includes the bearing from the rotor without having to replace the bearing , that is why there is no need to replace the bearing

Old 11-04-2009, 07:47 PM

I thought I read on here that the 97 Accord still had the rotor over hubs, like the 95.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

The 90-97 accords are hub over the rotor, aka the PIA brake job to replace rotors. All normal cars are rotor over the hub.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Shaking