General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

still cuts out

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Default still cuts out

Ok, have tried everything I could find on the site and hoping that someone might have a idea whats going on with this car

quick history:
I bought the car recently, it had a new clutch installed prior to my owning.....was VERY sluggish upto 4k rpms and then motor would act like it died, CEL comes on (solid...no flash), shift into next gear and car runs but runs rich (default condition) and stays on till you shut the car off. Now the really weird thing is is doesnt happen all the time, occasionally you can rev out to 6k rpms and she is fine but thats rare. I did find a unplugged sensor, plugged that back in and the sluggishness went away and I do like the more power but god forbid I pass 4k rpms as it cuts out and throws the CEL light again. Also if you downshift into 4th from 5th on the freeway it will do the same right at 4k rpms.

This really has me pulling my hair out and while its just annoying as all hell, I would like to get it fixed, preferably without taking into a shop because I just know its something I am probably overlooking and simple

Thanks for any help fellas

Old 09-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: still cuts out

Since the CEL is on, then there is a problem code stored on the ECU. Post that code on here and we will be able to help you.

You can download a shop manual for a 91 Accord from www.hondahookup.com/manuals. The 91 manual should be almost identical to the 92.

You can short the service connector and count the flashes on the ECU to determine the code. Here is a link for a 94-97 accord. The procedure is the same, but you might have to pull back the pass. carpet to look at the ECU to count the blinks. http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

Old 09-24-2007, 02:11 PM

thanks a million for those links, gonna DL those and see what I can find.

new thing showed up last night now too! jeez older cars huh? was driving in the mountains taking my new fiance to some places she wanted to go and heard a really bad thunking in the right corner/front....well normally I woulda pulled over and investigated but fiance has eplipsy(sp?) and was having a minor seizure so instead dealt with that, made into outskirts of town and heard "something" come off the car...and while it doesn't seem to bother driving, when hit the brakes it pulls right and makes a weird creaking noise when almost to a full stop so I guess today is stick the car on jacks and get underneath and get started...was kinda hoping it woulda made it till next week when I get my new struts installed and I had a lift available for me but I don't feel safe driving right now in the condition its in so I guess I need to get to work! lol!

thanks again and I will keep ya posted!

Old 09-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

chk the radius rod ,, i have seen the nut come off and the bushing right behind it ...

Old 09-24-2007, 04:53 PM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

chk the radius rod ,, i have seen the nut come off and the bushing right behind it ...

thanks brotha! look into that right after my girls doc appt.

thanks a million man!

Old 11-18-2007, 02:19 PM

Ok so I went through the service connector (didnt put the short wire in right the forst time so I got no cades but retried again) and I got what I believe to be a 4 and a 15.

so its looking like ignition and crankshaft positioning? Sounding about right?

I know I had a CPS go out on a Olds I used to own and it was just some grease that had gotten gooed up on the crank pulley itself....made the car run real erractic...some degreaser did the trick....because of the slot on the pulley was covered over in goo....so I am hopeful that helps or might be a easy fix......just really not into tearing into the car THAT much today to start replacing all kinds of sensors.

whats this ignition timing thing though? Never heard of that one??? number four???

Thanks again fellas

Old 11-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: korrupt1
number four???
Pull off the distributor cap. Is there a coating of brown dust in there?

Old 11-18-2007, 06:00 PM

Oh I havent checked that yet....whats that mean? Its a fairly new cap and wires and plugs......and the code flashing is 4....so is this brown dust possibly causing a ignition issue?

thankd for the tip

and I guess the code (4) is the crankshaft position sensor...I posted wrong.....I just went and blasted crap out of the crank/pulleys and everything underneath with degreaser....pulled the radio fuse under the hood for almost a minute....and now it just flashes the four code....and not the 15 that was flashing as well......so something was gooed up under thereI guess. so part of one problem is gone......now if I could only figure out this stupid CPS thing......and of course I go to Checker and Autozzone...a non carried part....so no idea how much one is....this stinking car!! LOL!!

Old 11-18-2007, 06:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Chiovnidca

ORIGINAL: korrupt1
number four???
Pull off the distributor cap. Is there a coating of brown dust in there?
Ok....didnt find a brown dust persay.....some light stuff but all in all....it was pretty clean EXCEPT for the bottom most screw area.....the rounded side.....yea...that was full of grease in that area...so I wiped it all clean...pulled the radio fuse again....test drive and we were looking pretty good....then again....cut out.

I still have yet to find this CPS sensor

Old 11-18-2007, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

The Crank Position Sensor in your year/model is a pulse count sensor in the dist.

Quick Reply: still cuts out