General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

still on my accord 98 single cell radiator

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Default still on my accord 98 single cell radiator

hi everybody, i have accord 98 Lx, 4cylinders, 2.3L, auto trans. I am still getting worried and afraid about my accord single cell radiator whether it wil overheat on the way on a long journey[276km] i am about to make soon, although presently is not overheating and there is no leaks and no crack on it, I use coolant whenever there is drop in the fluid in the reserve tank and the radiator itself. My mechanic told me since is still new nothing will happen but immediately i come back from the trip i will change it to double cell radiator. Your advice and recommendations will be helpful. Thanks

Old 04-19-2013, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

What is the problem with the radiator you have now? Does the OEM accord come with a double cell radiator?

I use coolant whenever there is drop in the fluid in the reserve tank and the radiator itself. My mechanic told me since is still new nothing will happen but immediately i come back from the trip i will change it to double cell radiator.
This part is confusing. Do you need to add coolant? Is the mechanic going to install the proper part?

Old 04-20-2013, 05:33 AM

I used to add coolant to the reserve tank when it is below minimum mark. The mechanic is not installing any part to it. The single cell radiator is working fine and not overheating. My question is can the one cell radiator cool down the engine for a journey of 31/2 hrs [276km] drive with A/C on? Here in Nigeria now the temperature is very hot that is why i am getting worried. I believe it will not overheat on the way. Thanks

Old 04-20-2013, 08:36 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

"Very hot" is 40° or less? Your car was designed to withstand those temps, even with the A/C running and many hours running. USDM cars have single row radiators and easily cope with the 40°+ temperatures common in the southern US. How often do you add coolant, and how much coolant needs to be added?

Old 04-20-2013, 09:45 AM

thanks to you Roader, the amount of coolant added is just to top it a little in the reserve tanks not that much, what is USDM? Since the single row radiator can withstand temps of 40+, I trust that the radiator will not blow up during those long hours of driving, I will try to change the radiator hose expecially the one above the radiator to make sure all is well during the journey. Thanks to you all in HAF

Old 04-20-2013, 10:27 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

USDM is United States Domestic Market.

Worst case scenario is very high ambient temps + low speed driving + A/C running. You're right to make sure all the hoses are in good condition for such driving. Clean coolant and functioning fans/thermostat/radiator cap are a must too. Your radiator won't blow up if the radiator cap is working correctly.

Note that your car really shouldn't be losing any coolant. It shouldn't require frequent topping up of coolant. If it does then there may be a problem with the cooling system or another part of the engine.