Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Strange "bbvrrrrvrrvrt:" noise - 1994 Accord EX (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/strange-%22bbvrrrrvrrvrt-%22-noise-1994-accord-ex-9810/)

Drpepper 05-25-2007 11:30 AM

Strange "bbvrrrrvrrvrt:" noise - 1994 Accord EX

Sitting at an idle I noticed that a strange noise is coming from somewhere around the pulley side of the engine (Driver side). It sounds a little like a grindig noise or a rapid buzzing noise and only sounds every few minutes for half a second.
Any ideas? I can't place it, the engine bogs down just a little when it happens.

sir_nasty 05-25-2007 11:32 AM

RE: Strange "bbvrrrrvrrvrt:" noise - 1994 Accord EX

Pop the hood and try to inspect stuff while it's running/idling, you can use a wooden broom handle as a sort of stethescope to help narrow it down, however, the most common issues for that would be an alternator or water pump.... I'm going to take a random guess at an alternator problem but it could be as simple as the belt needing replaced....

TexasHonda 05-25-2007 12:16 PM

Your description suggest ABS unit is running to top-up pressure on the accumulator. You may have low fluid in the ABS reservoir, or possibly a leaking internal valve (not repairable). You can get the ABS code by shorting the Service Check Connector, turn keyswitch to ON,and reading the flashing codes. I've forgotten the code flash scheme but think its all short flashes w/ a pause between 1st and second digits. Check our DIY FAQ's for some further help on ABS or a shop manual if you have one.

good luck

Drpepper 05-25-2007 12:54 PM

The ABS light does come on frequently.
That may be it. I will check codes.
You say "not repairable". Is it replaceable?

00AccordLX5spd 05-25-2007 12:57 PM

Do you have the A/C on when this happens? My engine bogs when the compressor kicks in, but it usually lasts longer than a few seconds. It is normally bogged for most of the time the A/C is on. Probably not what you are talking about, but just a thought....

Drpepper 05-25-2007 01:09 PM

I thought the AC too but it is off when it happens.

TexasHonda 05-25-2007 06:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Drpepper

The ABS light does come on frequently.
That may be it. I will check codes.
You say "not repairable". Is it replaceable?
Yes, it is replaceable at a reasonable cost. You can usually find used modulators for <$100. Be sure to get a warranty, as I've had some problems w/ used units. A new unit is close to $2K, simply unreasonable.

If the fluid level is low and you see evidence (fluid, shriveled looking paint) of brake fluid beneath your modulator, it can likely be repaired. There is a procedure to remove ABS modulator, tighten about 8 plugs in the modulator body, and re-install. PM me w/ your email and I'll forward the procedure. This fixed leaks on my daughter's 97 Acura 2.2 CL which shares the same ABS modulator as the 94EX.

good luck

Drpepper 05-26-2007 12:25 PM

Thanks for the advice, I am going to try to take some time to narrow in on the noise and do the inspections you recommend. I will let youknow what I see.
The noise is getting worse, It stays on for several seconds now when I initially fire up the engine.

TexasHonda 05-26-2007 02:37 PM

ABS controller resets every time engine is started and attempts to pressurize the ABS modulator. Have you checked fluid level in modulator? Low fluid level will cause this problem. Also get ABS code from controller.

good luck

miami honda 05-26-2007 02:41 PM

Yeah I had that problem on my 94 accord all I did to fix it was to bleed the abs pump modulator fairly easy to and got rid of my abs light too.
[align=left] [/align]