General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange "bbvrrrrvrrvrt:" noise - 1994 Accord EX

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Default Strange "bbvrrrrvrrvrt:" noise - 1994 Accord EX

Sitting at an idle I noticed that a strange noise is coming from somewhere around the pulley side of the engine (Driver side). It sounds a little like a grindig noise or a rapid buzzing noise and only sounds every few minutes for half a second.
Any ideas? I can't place it, the engine bogs down just a little when it happens.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Default RE: Strange "bbvrrrrvrrvrt:" noise - 1994 Accord EX

Pop the hood and try to inspect stuff while it's running/idling, you can use a wooden broom handle as a sort of stethescope to help narrow it down, however, the most common issues for that would be an alternator or water pump.... I'm going to take a random guess at an alternator problem but it could be as simple as the belt needing replaced....

Old 05-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Your description suggest ABS unit is running to top-up pressure on the accumulator. You may have low fluid in the ABS reservoir, or possibly a leaking internal valve (not repairable). You can get the ABS code by shorting the Service Check Connector, turn keyswitch to ON,and reading the flashing codes. I've forgotten the code flash scheme but think its all short flashes w/ a pause between 1st and second digits. Check our DIY FAQ's for some further help on ABS or a shop manual if you have one.

good luck

Old 05-25-2007, 12:54 PM

The ABS light does come on frequently.
That may be it. I will check codes.
You say "not repairable". Is it replaceable?

Old 05-25-2007, 12:57 PM

Do you have the A/C on when this happens? My engine bogs when the compressor kicks in, but it usually lasts longer than a few seconds. It is normally bogged for most of the time the A/C is on. Probably not what you are talking about, but just a thought....

Old 05-25-2007, 01:09 PM

I thought the AC too but it is off when it happens.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Drpepper

The ABS light does come on frequently.
That may be it. I will check codes.
You say "not repairable". Is it replaceable?
Yes, it is replaceable at a reasonable cost. You can usually find used modulators for <$100. Be sure to get a warranty, as I've had some problems w/ used units. A new unit is close to $2K, simply unreasonable.

If the fluid level is low and you see evidence (fluid, shriveled looking paint) of brake fluid beneath your modulator, it can likely be repaired. There is a procedure to remove ABS modulator, tighten about 8 plugs in the modulator body, and re-install. PM me w/ your email and I'll forward the procedure. This fixed leaks on my daughter's 97 Acura 2.2 CL which shares the same ABS modulator as the 94EX.

good luck

Old 05-26-2007, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the advice, I am going to try to take some time to narrow in on the noise and do the inspections you recommend. I will let youknow what I see.
The noise is getting worse, It stays on for several seconds now when I initially fire up the engine.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:37 PM

ABS controller resets every time engine is started and attempts to pressurize the ABS modulator. Have you checked fluid level in modulator? Low fluid level will cause this problem. Also get ABS code from controller.

good luck

Old 05-26-2007, 02:41 PM

Yeah I had that problem on my 94 accord all I did to fix it was to bleed the abs pump modulator fairly easy to and got rid of my abs light too.
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: Strange "bbvrrrrvrrvrt:" noise - 1994 Accord EX