General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

strange idle after insufficant EGR flow code fixed....

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Default strange idle after insufficant EGR flow code fixed....

first off i'd like to thank all the guys on here who have replied to my problem threads.you guys have really helped a 1st time honda owner out. ok, now on to my next occuring problem. keep in mind my car has 266k on it and runs super but it's just little things popping up. i just took the upper intake off and cleaned the ports like seen on youtube and described here and after I did that I cleaned all the gunk off my engine and since I did that I have a idle problem but it's not turning my CEL on and it's not terrible but just aggrivating.after I finished up I went down the road and when I stopped the cars idle would surge and then go up to about 1100 rpm but when I would bump the throttle it would fall and stop acting up.also it'll take a small spell to not take the gas for a split second and it only does this at random but not everyday.I did check for any loose hoses and such but found nothing,could I have gotten water in one of the sparkplug holes? also my throttle body gasket was torn at the bottom in half and i just put some black RTV silicone on it to seal it back,could that be it? anyway,the problem is just there but not severe but it makes me think something is going to happen that leaves me stranded LOL! thanks guys

Old 12-13-2012, 07:21 PM

Guarantee you that the "broken gasket" is causing this. This is a basic vacuum leak. At idle when your throttle is closed the intake manifold is subject to upwards of - 20 psi of vacuum (from the action of the pistons sucking in air and the throttle plate closed). If you have ever looked at it you will see there is a small hole cut into the throttle plate to allow enough air in for the car to maintain idle. The engine produces vacuum so that when you open the throttle the engine is "ready to go".

So you need to take it back appart, remove the old gaskets, clean off the surfaces then place new gaskets in and reinstall. Make sure you torque it correctly.

(Also as a friendly note, to make your post easier on the eyes - my eyes dislike reading tons of text on computer screens - try to break it up into several "paragraphs".)

Last edited by Silver6gen; 12-13-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:46 PM

i'll remember the advice LOL! and I used some RTV sealant on the cracked gasket could it still be leaking?? and as far as tourqe goes i just use a stagged pattern to tighen the throttle body back and snugged them up real nice. and you say "gaskets?" I only seen one behind the throttle body i believe unless I missed seeing one.

Last edited by byebye2u; 12-13-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:06 PM

Yea thats the one. I have messed with intake manifolds many times and each time I hate it even more. It is easy to mess up and get a vacuum leak, which is frustrating after hours of installation - deinstallation then installation again ect....

Remove the busted gasket, clean off the surfaces -on the manifold and the engine where the gasket makes contact- then replace said gasket and reinstall. It's less than 20 bucks.

You need to consult a repair manual for the propper torque specs and pattern.

I usually start in the middle top and tighten them just snug (when it just starts to produce resistance), then go middle lower do the same and work in a clockwise pattern around just getting the bolts snug

After that take the required torque spec from the manual and do about 1/3rd of that starting in the middle upper then lower and work around in a clockwise pattern.

Then go ahead and torque it down to the required specs using the same pattern. Some might think this is overkill, but as I have said intake manifolds and subsequent gaskets are a royal PITA. So why not take your time and do it right.

Then report back here!

Last edited by Silver6gen; 12-13-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:13 PM

ok the intake gasket is GOOD it wasn't hurt what so ever. the one that was cracked was behind the throttle body. my intake gasket was in great shape.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:33 PM

When dealing with intakes I would replace any gasket that I disassembled.

However in this situation I would get a can of carb cleaner, start the car and open the hood. With the car running (and surging) you need to start spraying the carb cleaner around the gaskets in question. Start with where you expect the leak to be coming from.

The idle speed of your engine will drop or go up when you find the leak.

Last edited by Silver6gen; 12-13-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:58 PM

I'll try this first.thanks and i'll post up my findings because it may help someone else sometime.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Silver's advice is generally OK for any car, but it would be nice to know what we're talking about.
Some kind of Accord? What year? What engine?

Old 12-14-2012, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Silver's advice is generally OK for any car, but it would be nice to know what we're talking about.
Some kind of Accord? What year? What engine?
EX..... 2000 model.......V6 engine

I also noticed that it mainly occurs until the car is warms up and it starts to idle like it's spuddering, but as soon as you tap the gas pedal it clears up and idles normal. you can drive the car and cut it off for a bit and when you crank it back up it'll do the same thing,and once again when you tap the pedal it clears up again. the car runs out super with NO other issues but this.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:48 PM

Can you post a video of the tach when it is exhibiting the above symptoms.

Quick Reply: strange idle after insufficant EGR flow code fixed....