General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange question

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 10:35 PM
Default strange question

ok I do alot of work on my car, maintenance, etc.. Ive been having a problem finding somone to just replace my timing belt, I had one mechanic at a honda shop today tell me it would be $400 because not only would he replace the timing belt but the water pump, the other belts, crankshaft and camshaft seals and a couple other misc things that i cant remember...others have told me the same thing, and they all refust to just replace the timing belt like I want and nothing else.. are these mechanics just trying to wring more money out of ppl or is what they are saying valid?

Old 09-22-2006, 11:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: strange question

ORIGINAL: drummer1279

ok I do alot of work on my car, maintenance, etc.. Ive been having a problem finding somone to just replace my timing belt, I had one mechanic at a honda shop today tell me it would be $400 because not only would he replace the timing belt but the water pump, the other belts, crankshaft and camshaft seals and a couple other misc things that i cant remember...others have told me the same thing, and they all refust to just replace the timing belt like I want and nothing else.. are these mechanics just trying to wring more money out of ppl or is what they are saying valid?
It really does not matter what they say or think...........it is your car, your money your choise.......

hell i rather replace just the timing belt every single time ,, than a few months later when the water pump leaks or is noisy ,or the balancer shaft leaks i would get money for doing the same thing again

What i am trying to say is that ,it is wise and a money saving situation to do the complete job while you are there ,,

but for a shop to refuse to replace just the timing belt it is totally ridiculous ...

Old 09-22-2006, 11:11 PM

Yeah, what they say is true. $400 is not too bad a price either. The water pu,p comes off to get to the timing belt, many places won't put a used part like that back on due to failure reasons.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Slusher

The water pu,p comes off to get to the timing belt, many places won't put a used part like that back on due to failure reasons.
there is no need to remove the water pump in order to replace the timing belt ....

....and a shop should listen to a customer request as long as it is not out of reason,,
heck i will install his old oil filter if so he ( she ) chooses .....the shop has no right to dictate to a customer how to spend his money or what part to use .. as long as the shop tells the customer that if it fails ( ITS YOUR BABY ) , and have customer sign paper

and if they put a used part in as per customer request than the customert HAS TO PAY all over again to redo the job if it fails

Many customers bring their own parts to my shop to install them .. i tell them that if that part fails even 1 minute after i install it , they have to pay me labor all over again to redo the job
and i have them sigh the repair order

Old 09-22-2006, 11:51 PM

thanks for the input guys, the water pump in my car isnt that old, '92 accord lz with 185,000 miles, i think the water pump has like 28,000 miles on it and its brand new. I honestly just need the timing belt replaced nothing else is wrong with the car.

Old 09-23-2006, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

what you mean is that nothing is wrong right now. But if the belt is replaced and the seals are left to start leaking in a few thousand miles, you'll have the chance to bad mouth that mechanic all over town. It's a matter of fixing it right the first time, someone didn't replace the waterpump the first time which led to a failure before the second belt change was due.
If you have a price of parts and labor of $400, you should jump all over that.

Old 09-23-2006, 02:26 AM

no what you fail to realize is that I know what goes on with my car and I knowwhat needs to be fixed/replaced and when. I just need a timing belt replaced...nothing more. I do not bad mouth mechanics unless there is something intentionally done that I did not approve to be done. if something messes up with the car that few thousand miles after the timing beltis replaced than thats not the mechanics fault, and its me that will have to deal with going about how to fix it. dont assume or jump to conclusions.

Old 09-23-2006, 07:59 AM

Just wanted to say "my bad" for giving the info that the water pump had to come off in order to do the timing belt. My 'trusted' service manager at my old honda dealership told me that. I'm glad that the folks on this forum really know and do what they talk about.
Thank you for correcting me Deserthonda.

Old 09-23-2006, 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Slusher

Just wanted to say "my bad" for giving the info that the water pump had to come off in order to do the timing belt. My 'trusted' service manager at my old honda dealership told me that. I'm glad that the folks on this forum really know and do what they talk about.
Thank you for correcting me Deserthonda.
ehy not to worry Slusher ,, but i am surprised that they would say such a thing to you,, continue with your helpful suggestions and thanks for your input

Old 09-23-2006, 03:21 PM

if the pump is that new then I'd probably be of the same opinion as you, just do the belt, however I'd have the seals redone while he's in there (they're cheap and quick to do now but costly to do it all over again) leave the pump there and just do the belt, have you ever considered doing this yourself? As long as you don't rotate anything while you're doing it then your timing should be fine and it's a fairly straightforward repair, it just takes time... And like others have said $400.00 for the belt, seals, pump, etc is a pretty good price if you want all that done, but it's a pretty crappy price if you just want to do a fricken belt

Quick Reply: strange question