General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Strange Starting/Battery issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 02:30 AM
Default Strange Starting/Battery issue

Hey guys, This is my first post here and joined the site specifically because of the issue I am having. I have a 1994 Accord EX with the 2.2 in it. I have had a multitude of issues with this car starting. Paid 100 bucks for the car and when I got it all it needed was new shocks so I feel as if I got a great deal on it. At first the battery the car came with went bad, no big deal, bought another battery and installed it. Next the alternator went out, once again, 130 bucks for a new alternator, no big deal. I installed it and it was putting out 14.2 to the new battery. Then the starter went out, once again not an issue. I bought a new starter and installed it. The car fired up no problem. Then a few days later the car wouldnt start. I check all my wires from the starter. All good. Checked the alternator, still putting out 14.2v, checked the battery..........its reading fully charged. So I replaced the ground wire for battery. It was badly frayed so I replaced it with a brand new one. Still the car wont start. Please some here help me. If I jump the car it fires just fine so it has to be a battery issue but EVERYTHING has been replaced and all my reading are good. WHAT DID I MISS

Old 04-21-2015, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is car starter not engaging (clicking or silent), or car turns over fine but refuses to catch/run? You need to carefully describe start attempts to enable someone to help.

good luck

Old 04-21-2015, 09:09 PM

I get in the vehicle and turn the key........nothings. As soon as I put on the jump box car runs just fine. As said in the previous post. The alternator, starter, and battery cables have been replaced.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:17 PM

Once started the car runs and drives just fine.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

First, be sure the battery cable connections are clean and secure. Use of jumper cables to boost amperage and enable starter to engage can be an indicator of poor battery connection or damaged battery wire.

If battery connections and cables are good, no starter action implicates something in the ignition start signal path; ignition switch, P/N trans switch (assume auto trans). However a bad starter is not out of the question even though it's been replaced.

Suggest checking for 12V on the blk/wht small wire to the starter when no-start condition is present.

If 12V is present, then starter solenoid is likely culprit, assuming you have totally eliminated battery wires and connections.

If 12V start signal missing, then ignition switch, P/N switch or wiring fault must be investigated.

good luck