General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange turn signal issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Default Strange turn signal issue

Just seeing if anyone else has had this issue before or know the fix. When I turn my turn signal on, for about 4 or 5 clicks the light doesn't blink on the cluster. And these initial clicks are about 2x speed of the turn signal. Is this the blinker module or what have you? The sound is in the dash, just as the regular turn signal makes when normal and lighting up. I don't think it is messin with the external lamps as I have not been rearended or anything yet....lol, but I have yet to check if the light is delayed as it is inside as well. I would assume so. Thanks.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

One of the reasons we ask that members put their car info in their signature is so they don't forget to add it.....or if they do then it is there so we know what year.trim.trans.# cyl's....ect the car is.

Right now I don't know where to start as I have no idea where to begin?

I can only "guess" something with the relay is not right but without knowing the year.trim.ect......just a guess.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:12 PM

Sorry. 98 Accord AT 2.3l. Guess I just passed that off as a non year drivetrain specific issue....

Old 03-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

On newer cars some of that stuff is handled in multiplexers, rather than discrete wiring.

In fact, 1998 is one of the few strange years, the EX has more functions in multiplexers than the LX & DX. So.... is it an EX?? 4-door or 2-door?

Old 03-26-2013, 02:56 PM

EX 4 door. I will go get that put in my profile... Hopefully it's not the flux capacitor...I hear those are expensive....lol.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure the multiplex is out of the equation.....also your flux capacitor should be fine......hope you have the one fed off bio fuels? The others cost a bit to feed

Start simple. Press the Haz button at night with the lights on and check all four/side corners. Be sure all of the lights are blinking.

Does the issue happen with both left and right turns? I'm trying to narrow down the issue between a bad bulb, bad relay or something else.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Here you go...I hate electrical issues

Attached Thumbnails Strange turn signal issue-6th-gen-turn-signals.jpg  
Old 03-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

I assume all the wires that go off the bottom of the picture go to a ground somewhere? (especially the #1 pin of the flasher relay)

Make sure that the delay in the dashboard indicators is also the same delay in the actual turnsignal lamps outside. If not, then look for bad ground in the cluster somewhere. Otherwise, the turnsignals are all powered together as indicated by the one wire going to all 3 lamps on one side of the car. It's only the ground side of each bulb that really has it's own path to ground.

Fuse #10 OK in the driver's side dashboard fusebox? Probably if it were blown the turnsignals wouldn't work at all; not just a "delay".

It seems like it might be a bad turnsignal/hazard relay. It's clicking but not making contact for the first few cycles. That seems kinda strange behavior. Have you put LED bulbs in place of the turnsignals?

Flashing (or clicking) extra fast is an indication of a burned out bulb. Or a bulb that has lost it's connection with the circuit. So check the bulbs for corrosion in their sockets. Again, strange that it would only be a problem for a few seconds.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:51 PM

No new LED bulbs or anything crazy. I will check them tonight. It is weird that it is only for a few clicks then fine. Guess that's why I haven't gotten crazy with checking bulbs, etc. I have had bulbs go out in the past and it click real fast but the light on the dash still lit up. Plus a dash indicator came on as well in this car last time too. That is another weird aspect that the light on the dash only starts lighting up when the blinker is normal. Another weird thing that I noticed is that it is only when the car is cold. After driving it it doesn't do it either. Or at least it hasn't yet.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Jim - yes those "lines off the page" are the grounds.....they are important but I was only trying to give a high level description of the circuit.

OP- with that last bit of info - the lights on the dash do not flash until the blinkers are working puts more on the relay. The next cold morning or when you know it will happen, start the car and turn on the left signal and quickly get out of the car and check the actual outside lights or have a helper and do the same.

Quick Reply: Strange turn signal issue