General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Struggling to diagnose possible electrical issue.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 02:04 AM
Default Struggling to diagnose possible electrical issue.

Hi all, I'm new here so I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section. I have a 1996 Honda Accord LX. It's been showing signs of an electrical gremlin of some sort for 2 years now but I've taken it in to be diagnosed 3 times now and everything reads fine. My battery light came on a few weeks ago and my alternator was showing as failing but only when I had my headlights on. A few days later it turned off and hasn't come back on again. But im having a problem where occasionally my lights will dim, radio and dash lights turn off, wipers don't work, windows won't roll down. I've had my battery and alternator checked, both read fine. Then my check engine light came on reading code P0420 then the next day it turned off. I'm wondering if someone has had similar issues?

Adding additional information and an update, because things turned for the worse yesterday. Yesterday I experienced a no crank no start. This is the 5th time this has happened in 2 years, where I drove it fine and then randomly it would no crank no start. The first time, I replaced the starter. The second time, I replaced the distributor. The third time, I replaced the fuel pump (checked the relay first, it tested fine). 4th time after 10-20 minutes of trying to turn it on, it randomly worked. This time I tried on and off for 3 hours and nothing happened. I wore my battery down trying.And now im here.

Last edited by schlexzieberry; 09-25-2021 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

You can try disconnecting the battery. Clean the battery cable terminals with a wire brush or sand paper. Also clean up the battery posts. With the battery disconnected, remove the big wire from the alternator and clean that up to ensure you have a good connection.

If your lights dim, then you should do a voltage drop test on the battery cables and the big wire going to the alternator. If they check good, and your alternator is putting out low voltage, then the alternator needs rebuilt or replaced. If you replace, I'd recommend a Denso alternator. You typically have to purchase online, but I've had no issues with them.

Old 09-25-2021, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
You can try disconnecting the battery. Clean the battery cable terminals with a wire brush or sand paper. Also clean up the battery posts. With the battery disconnected, remove the big wire from the alternator and clean that up to ensure you have a good connection.

If your lights dim, then you should do a voltage drop test on the battery cables and the big wire going to the alternator. If they check good, and your alternator is putting out low voltage, then the alternator needs rebuilt or replaced. If you replace, I'd recommend a Denso alternator. You typically have to purchase online, but I've had no issues with them.
Adding additional information and an update, because things turned for the worse yesterday. Yesterday I experienced a no crank no start. This is the 5th time this has happened in 2 years, where I drove it fine and then randomly it would no crank no start. The first time, I replaced the starter. The second time, I replaced the distributor. The third time, I replaced the fuel pump (checked the relay first, it tested fine). 4th time after 10-20 minutes of trying to turn it on, it randomly worked. This time I tried on and off for 3 hours and nothing happened. I wore my battery down trying.And now im here.
I ordered a test light, battery/alternator tester, and a multimeter because mine were stolen when my car was stolen last year. So I'll check the cables and batt and alt myself when they come in on Wednesday.