General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck in Developer Update..

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 05:56 PM
Default Stuck in Developer Update..

I made the grave mistake of pushing "Update" in the System Developer menu, and its been stuck there since. The upper screen shows a loading bar and "Please do not shut off engine" and the lower screen shows "Program update started". When the loading bar completes, the screens shut off, then the Phone initialization screen, the screens then go black again, then the upper screen shows the Home Link home screen, after that both screens go back to showing its updating. I've searched for days on different forums, and Google trying to find a fix but I cant.
  • I've had both Audio fuses pulled for 72 hrs straight - the only fuses I can find that seem related to the system, and the only way to kill the screens.
  • I've disconnected the battery for 18 hours straight
  • I just attempted a hard reset, I disconnected the battery terminals then attached a jumper from Pos to Neg, and left it for 90 minutes.
  • I have tried to re-enter the Diagnostic/Developer mode but it's not playing ball.
Each time I reconnect everything, the screens go back to the Update status.

I've had a friend reach out to his contacts at a dealer, they had never seen this before.
I also took it by a different dealer today, a few techs looked at it with no avail and said it would need to be sent into the shop... but I don't know if that would fix it at this rate.

I've seen a couple threads with this issue, all but one did not offer a solution. The only one that showed a solution said they pushed the CD Eject button to abort, but that didn't work for me.

Attached Thumbnails Stuck in Developer Update..-20180620_214034.jpg  

Last edited by nothinspecial; 06-30-2018 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have a shop manual for the 2014 accord, so I don't know what buttons you would have to push to get into a diagnostic mode.

Have you tried the buttons this guy used in the youtube video:

Old 06-30-2018, 10:59 PM

Sorry, I should add that to my original post, I have tried a few times to re-enter the diag mode with no luck.

For my car is Menu+Back+Nav

Attached Thumbnails Stuck in Developer Update..-20180630_222615.jpg  

Last edited by nothinspecial; 06-30-2018 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:44 AM

Fixed it..

I finally took it into the stealership, they determined the radio was fried and quoted me a new one.. $9,870... No, I'm not exaggerating.

Junkyard produced one for $250.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:54 PM
Default Exactly the same problem—help!

I read this thread with a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach because I have exactly the same problem. I was simply trying to deactivate the auto lock out feature for the navigation system and happen to press the program update button in the developer screen. Now it is completely frozen. Please tell me there is another solution to buying new hardware??

There has got to be another way to get this fixed besides going to the junkyard and buying a new system. It was The push of a button on my touchscreen that locked me out just as described in the thread above. I’m praying I can just push some other buttons to undo this. Anybody else out there find another solution?

Old 03-13-2020, 10:29 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It would be helpful to know what year do you have otherwise get the disc to complete the update

Old 03-14-2020, 11:04 AM

My Odyssey is a 2014 exl with navigation. I contacted Honda of America as well but they were little help. They directed me to this software update dvd saying I could try it and it might work but don’t have a DVD player in my odyssey (I checked under both seats, etc). Would this work through my CD player?
https://hondanavi.navigation.com/pro...US/HondaNA/USD

Old 03-18-2020, 04:05 PM
Default Problem fixed with software update!

I fix this problem without changing out any hardware. A guy in another forum Suggested checking out the Honda service bulletin 15-002. I took it to a Honda dealer and showed it to him. At first they disregarded me as not knowing anything and insisted it would take several days of diagnostic tests and maybe a very expensive hardware replacement. However, I kept on pressing and they eventually agreed to look into the instructions on the Honda service bulletin I printed out and brought to them. 30 minutes later my car was fixed at no cost. Beware of the Stealerships! so thankful I found this. Hope it helps someone else with my problem.https://nam10.safelinks.protection.o...amp;reserved=0

Old 04-20-2020, 11:48 PM
Default Fixed!

FIXED! I did the same thing and was mortified to find out that there wasn't an answer on the internet. Anyway, once you start the car with the update started screen. If you put a cd (any music cd) in the slot and let it think that your about to update the system; the nav/radio will restart with a black screen and show the navigation at the top. After this, turn the car off and turn it back on then you will need to have the anti-theft code to unlock the radio (holding the power button will not work). Once you unlock the radio, everything will go back to normal and you will be A-Ok.

If you don't have the anti-theft code (like I didn't) you will have to HARD RESET the car by unplugging the battery for 20 mins, plugging it back up. THEN you will be able to hold the power button and the anti-theft system will unlock by just holding the power button.

It was a lot of trial and error but, I was able to get everything back working w/o spending a dime!

Old 12-07-2022, 05:03 PM

Am having the same problem on my 2013 Honda accord as well. Any solutions