General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swap heads F20B & F22B on Accord 96 - Philippines

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Default Swap heads F20B & F22B on Accord 96 - Philippines

Hi guys!

I'm new to this forum.

When we bought our Accord from an individual seller, the engine installed was F20B. After a year the engine just stalled and a road mechanic told us that the engine damaged its internals, they even showed us when they turn the main pulley (after they dismantled the head) that the No.3 Piston was not moving. They advised us to directly swap the engine since it will be more cheaper and will save us time. And so we did. They installed an F22B engine.

Unfortunately, we were fooled by that mechanic. After spending Php 52,000 ($1,156 est) and three months of waiting, we got a more defective car. At first when you shift neutral to first gear, when releasing the clutch the car vibrates! then after a month I noticed that the engine warms too quickly. and the worst The RPM will suddenly drop while at idle (i.e stack in traffic) until it dies.

I took it to another mechanic to have a look at it, he said that the the problem is the cylinder head (F22B) the reason why it suddenly looses compression (sudden RPM drop), that water might be getting inside the engine.

So before I decide on what to do, I'll ask you guys since I know you have more experience on this thing.

1. Is it possible to install the previous F20B Cylinder head (whole assembly) on the existing F22B engine block?
2. If it is possible are there any serious modifications that we need to do or we can just install it straight up?
3. If I we're you, what will you do, install the F20B head on the F22B Block to save money or repair the F22B instead but with a lot bigger cost?

I'm on a very very tight budget so I'm asking which is better to be done. Thank you in advance guys!

More HP!

Pictures:

1996 Honda Accord

Previously Installed F20B Engine

Currently installed defective F22B Engine

Old 05-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Its hard for us to say if the F20B head will fit the F22B block because almost all the users on this forum are from the USA and we never had either of those engines here.

Did the mechanic do any tests to see if coolant was getting inside the engine? A leak down or compression test will tell you if there is a leak. Also you can do a quick check yourself by removing the oil cap and seeing if its all white and cloudy like milk. this happens when coolant gets in the oil.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Posts moved to correct forum.

good luck

Old 05-09-2012, 12:01 PM

Sir Live2rice:
The mechanic inspected the car, he asked me if it overheats, and I told him that I noticed that the engine warms too quickly and water level from the radiator gets easily drained...he inspected the oil dipstick and showed me the two small holes, he told me that the maximum oil level must be at the top most hole, but it exceeds mine, so he told me that water might be mixing with your oil inside the engine because of the leak, same reason for the sudden compression loss.

I just tried my luck to get more accurate information, though I got to ask around some people here and say that it fits. I just wanted to make sure of this coming from more experienced tuners...

by the way regarding the quick check you mentioned, I will remove the oil cap when the engine is at idle am I correct?

Old 05-09-2012, 12:02 PM

Sir TexasHonda:
Thank you for moving my post to a more appropriate forum, I'm new and around I'm still trying to find my way around, my apologies though. =))

Old 05-09-2012, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nheri

by the way regarding the quick check you mentioned, I will remove the oil cap when the engine is at idle am I correct?
No, take the cap off when the engine is off, otherwise some oil will spray out.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:14 PM

dumb question for me ask...hahaha! sorry about that.

I just hope somebody can shed more light on the F20B Block with F22B Head, if it will fit, what are the possible pros and cons because its a lot of money for me that i am going to put in to fix this...

Old 05-10-2012, 02:46 PM

As i am browsing around some say that it will fit, some say it will not...please? anyone?

Old 05-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Sorry buddy but it is just like Live2Rice said - we have no experience with that motor.

We just do not know.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

We have a number of people from Asia, etc. I'll change the thread title so maybe it attracts their attention.

Quick Reply: Swap heads F20B & F22B on Accord 96 - Philippines