General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching To Synthetics

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Switching To Synthetics

Is there any issues with switching to synthetic transmission fluid (automatic) at my first fluid change? I planned on doing the first early anyways, maybe around 25,000-30,000 miles (I'm not there yet.) Is it ok to switch over at those miles or should it be done as close to the care being new as possible? I've used Mobil 1 syn since my very first oil change.

Thanks.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:43 PM

Use ATF-Z1 only. That is what is designed to work in a honda. Since honda transmissions are not built like any other automatic why would you want to use fluids designed for other automatics. Plus you will never be able to drain all of your old atf out for a complete fluid change so what kind of interaction is there between honda atf and the synthetic.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i agree with Mc , stick with Honda Z1 fluid,,

Old 12-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by mcnoople
Use ATF-Z1 only. That is what is designed to work in a honda. Since honda transmissions are not built like any other automatic why would you want to use fluids designed for other automatics. Plus you will never be able to drain all of your old atf out for a complete fluid change so what kind of interaction is there between honda atf and the synthetic.
Won't be doing it myself I'll be getting a flush from a service center. I'm not sure about cutting in with synthetics at any stage of a cars life but I disagree about what's better. Synthetic (anything) is supposed to be better for a car than conventional. Another words would conventional Honda oil be better than Mobil 1 synthetic? I don't think so.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:17 PM

Don't have the transmission flushed, and use only ATF-Z1. Drain and fills, are the recommended way to change the fluid. Power flushes can force small particles into tiny places where they can clog things up. Maybe the slippery synthetic fluid would cause the transmission to slip more, when changing gears.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:49 PM

In theory synthetics are better. I used Mobil 1 in my 2003 Accord which was the first time I ever used synthetics oil and also was the first motor I had blow up at 100,000 miles or less. It was perfectly clean inside but even the cams were worn out. I would have been much better off changing the oil more often (I change it at 5,500 miles) with the savings in money. You can’t use universal trans fluid in a Honda without problems it won’t shift correctly. Do they make a synthetic for Asian cars like they do with non-synthetics trans fluid?

Old 12-22-2009, 10:53 PM

Even that Asian or import car specific tranny fluid is junk. Honda trannys only like Honda OEM fluids! Why do people cheap out on this stuff? It's CHEAP since you only have to replace it every few years or more!

Old 12-23-2009, 01:05 AM

The Honda fluid is that expensive if you buy it on line. I used to think go with all synthetics but now I think you have to find the best fluid for your particular vehicle. I did a long search on various forums awhile back and concluded at the moment that ATF-Z1 is the best fluid for Honda that came with it from the factory. I tried synthetic oil in my 1995 Accord and it used one quart per 500 miles and with regular oil it goes 1000 miles or more. It is approaching 200,000 miles. I have friend who is a service advisor for Mercedes and they solved their oil consumption problems with making Mobil1 their required oil. They consider it normal for one quart per 2,000 miles. I got interested in synthetics when I saw a Toyota turn oil into something that looked liked rubber after they changed their head design to run at higher temperature to meet emissions awhile back.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:24 AM
Almost A Senior Member

I will not change my transmission fluid over. However I will have the Honday dealer change it out probably at around 30-K miles. I just feel better getting the "break-in" fluid outta there sooner than later. Also, on this very same forum I believe I've read threads where people have changed it at around 25-K miles and noticed small shavings in it. I do use Mobil 1 oil (also offered by Honda dealers, Mobil supplies Honda all their oils.) I do not run it as long as they claim it will last, 4,000 miles for me TOPS and it gets changed. Expensive I know but I can find the extra money and I feel better doing it. Maybe synthetic can go longer but it's the filter I'm worried about. I just wonder what kind of a job an oil filter is doing after 8, 10 or 12 thousand miles!! If you can afford quicker more expensive changes great, it not well that's alright too.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dgp1961
... Synthetic (anything) is supposed to be better for a car than conventional...
That's marketing hype. There's many places where that's true, for specific reasons that have to do with how the fluid operates inside a specific piece of equipment. But not a blanket-statement that's true everywhere.

Besides, who says Honda ATF Z-1 is petroleum based?

Quick Reply: Switching To Synthetics