General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tail light and dash light woes...

Old 12-09-2015, 06:48 PM
Default Tail light and dash light woes...

Hello folks, I have a 1996 honda accord coupe lx.
This car had a stereo installed a few years ago and have had problems with the dash light and tail lights since. They started acting up about 6 months afterwards. Many younger folks have looked at it and can't find the problem. I have been tinkering with it for a few days now (step-daughters car).
They are not working at all now. I pulled the stereo and secured the dimmer lead from the harness (it was somewhat bare to where it could have shorted) and saw no other trouble in there.
It still blows the fuse right when you hit the headlight switch...I get nothing at all but instant burnt fuse. I chased what I could extensively throughout the car and saw no more bare wires and checked all of the blocks.
I read somewhere that these are on the dimmer switch circuit...so would that switch do that also???
By the way, I have changed bulbs twice now to be sure. Everything else works fine...

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help,
Steve
1996 Honda Accord LX coupe

Old 12-10-2015, 05:02 PM
Default Dash and tail light woes...

Hello folks, I have a 1996 Accord coupe lx.
This car had a stereo installed a few years ago and have had problems with the dash light and tail lights since. They started acting up right afterwards. Many younger folks have looked at it and can't find the problem. I have been tinkering with it for a few days now (step-daughters car).
They are not working at all now. I pulled the stereo and secured the dimmer lead from the harness (it was somewhat bare to where it could have shorted) and saw no other trouble in there.
It still blows the fuse right when you hit the headlight switch...I get nothing at all but instant burnt fuse. I chased what I could extensively throughout the car and saw no more bare wires and checked all of the blocks.
I read somewhere that these are on the dimmer switch circuit...so would that switch do that also??? Could it be the computer as I have read about other years???
I am absolutely stumped.
By the way, I have changed bulbs twice now to be sure. Everything else works fine...

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help,
Steve
1996 Accord lx coupe.

Last edited by tinman66; 12-10-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Which fuse is blowing?

When the radio was replaced was an adapter harness used or did they cut and splice wires?

If the radio is out and the "car side" of the radio harness is left unplugged (not touching anything) and you turn on the headlights, does the fuse blow?

Trying to narrow down that the radio and it's wires are the source of the fault.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:01 AM
Default Hello

The fuse would be the 15A small lights I think.
They did use a harness...
I am glad I came on here to ask because I did not think to try unplugging harness.
Thank you. I will give it a go tomorrow and get back at you.

Thanks again.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Testing with the radio "out" is just a start.

If the fuse does not blow with the radio out we can get into next steps.