General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tambourine-like noise from rear wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Default Tambourine-like noise from rear wheel

OK guys and gals, I know it's hard to diagnose without hearing and seeing yourself but I'll try and be as specific as possible:

I have 2008 Accord EX Sedan with 27,000 miles on it.

From one of the rear wheels (I believe it only to be the driver side) I am getting a noise that sounds like a tambourine or maybe a can filled with coins that you shake hard.

1. This sound is not constant, meaning it doesn't start whenever the wheels start to turn. When it does start it is usually on and off.
2. It is not present at start up speeds slower than 25-30.
3. When I exceed those speeds it does not start immediately, usually after a little warm-up.
4. When I brake the noise goes away. When I brake a little more sharply it usually goes away for a longer period of time.
5. It often starts after I make a right-hand turn, and when it does it usually continues when I straighten out - meaning it's not only present during the turn.
6. I swear that if I make a quick move of the wheel to the left that the noise goes away for short time.

Any ideas what it could be?

Old 04-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

I'd take off the wheel & look at the brake. Spin the brake rotor. Especially look for the splash-shield being bent so it occassionally rubs against the rotor. Small pebbles caught between the rotor & the splash-shield?

Old 04-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

pull the wheel and see if anything is unusual back there .. a rock hit and bent something ?? if all looks ok,,i would not waste my time any longer .car is under warranty have the dealer fix it ..

Old 04-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Default Tambourine-like noise from rear wheel

Wow! Exactly one year later, I'm encountering the same tambourine-like noise you mention here. I read your observations and my Accord is exhibiting symptoms similar to yours. Rosparty, were you able to get the problem fixed? Would you be able to tell me what was causing the noise? Unfortunately for me, the warranty on my 2008 Accord just expired.

Regards

Old 04-19-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Aberhardt
Wow! Exactly one year later, I'm encountering the same tambourine-like noise you mention here. I read your observations and my Accord is exhibiting symptoms similar to yours. Rosparty, were you able to get the problem fixed? Would you be able to tell me what was causing the noise? Unfortunately for me, the warranty on my 2008 Accord just expired.

Regards
Aberhardt - I stand by my description but despite the strangeness of the sound it ended up just being the rear brakes that needed to be replaced. The noise was probably caused by the wear detector. Because I was only at 27,000 miles at the time I didn't initially suspect brakes (or put it down on the list, at least, not that I am any expert). However, in case you were not aware, there was a successful class action lawsuit against Honda because of premature rear brake wear. I believe I was reimbursed $125 per pad (which still didn't cover the cost, but...) I don't know if you are still eligible but you can go to accordsettlement.com to check it out. Personnally this really put a dent in my opinion of Honda. Bottom line, my guess is you just need a brake job and for god sake's don't go to a dealer to get it done. $$$.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

If that's it, it's not too difficult to DIY the rear brakes. Let us know if you want to do that.

The wear-indicator tabs can make some of the strangest sounds when they just begin to rub. On my 95 Integra they made an almost musical tone, only when backing. Then after a couple more weeks they made the screetching sound you expect.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by rosparty
Aberhardt - I stand by my description but despite the strangeness of the sound it ended up just being the rear brakes that needed to be replaced. The noise was probably caused by the wear detector. Because I was only at 27,000 miles at the time I didn't initially suspect brakes (or put it down on the list, at least, not that I am any expert). However, in case you were not aware, there was a successful class action lawsuit against Honda because of premature rear brake wear. I believe I was reimbursed $125 per pad (which still didn't cover the cost, but...) I don't know if you are still eligible but you can go to accordsettlement.com to check it out. Personnally this really put a dent in my opinion of Honda. Bottom line, my guess is you just need a brake job and for god sake's don't go to a dealer to get it done. $$$.
Thanks for quick response, rosparty. I will check out the class action as well . As for the problem, I guess I'll know for sure once I have the vehicle looked at. I'm hoping my problem turns out to be the same as what you experienced so as to avoid spending more time troubleshooting.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
If that's it, it's not too difficult to DIY the rear brakes. Let us know if you want to do that.

The wear-indicator tabs can make some of the strangest sounds when they just begin to rub. On my 95 Integra they made an almost musical tone, only when backing. Then after a couple more weeks they made the screetching sound you expect.
Thanks for the offer, Jim. However, I'm not 100% sure if the rear brakes is what is causing the noise. Based on rosparty's explanation of his problem, mine fits closely to his. Nevertheless, that's where I would start.

Would it be easy to check the brake myself? How would I go about doing that? Thanks!

Old 05-08-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Aberhardt
Thanks for the offer, Jim. However, I'm not 100% sure if the rear brakes is what is causing the noise. Based on rosparty's explanation of his problem, mine fits closely to his. Nevertheless, that's where I would start.

Would it be easy to check the brake myself? How would I go about doing that? Thanks!
I went to get my rear brakes done and saw that both pads were almost worn out. The wear indicator was indeed making the tambourine-like sound. The good news is that there is no more sound. On the other hand, I paid $200 at a non-Honda shop to have the job performed. I think Honda would have charged just as much. It goes to show that one should shop around (or DIY). Anyway, thanks for everyone's help!

Old 11-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Default 2008 Honda Accord road noise

I'm just curious. I have a 2008 Honda Accord LX-P. When I drive, I hear a noise coming from the front end that sounds like a single prop airplane getting ready to take off. The faster I go, the louder it is. It's not the engine. It sounds more like the transmission or the CV-joint. Does anyone else have this problem? If it's normal, I think I'll either place Dynomat in it or trade it in.

Quick Reply: Tambourine-like noise from rear wheel