General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCU code 15 kickdown

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default TCU code 15 kickdown

So last month me and my uncle rebuild the auto trannyin my 94 honda accord ex. It was working awesome up until yesterday. The tranny started slipping and it gave me a code 15 which is the kickdown switch circuit shorted. I checked the fluid and its not black and also did a drain and fill with honda atf z1 and also magnetic plug no metal nor scraps on there. I have done a bit of research as to what may have caused my tranny to start slipping. But i want to see if HAF experienced members can give me a bit of advice to what may have caused this TCU code. Thanks

Old 01-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

The code 15 is a problem with the mainshaft speed sensor. Check to make sure the sensor is plugged in and the electrical connection is not corroded or damaged.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Alright cool thanks for the help. Any other areas to check in case its not the mainshaft sensor?

Old 01-12-2013, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

With that code, it is either the sensor, the wiring, or the TCU.

in the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum, there is a link to online shop manuals. The honda-tech site has a 94 manual as a pdf you can download for free. That has all of the information on testing a code 15.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well i checked the sensors and they look pretty good. I replaced the o-rings and placed them back. Wiring is a bit dirty but good from what ive seen. I still need to check the tcu. Im just hoping its not tranny since i went through the hard work of removing and rebuilding it last month. Can the solenoids also cause this code as well? My car as i drive acts like it cant find the gears. Reverse works awesome but when i put on d4 the gears go crazy and then just revs like if its in neutral. Any other suggestions?

Old 01-13-2013, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Doing a quick visual inspection doesn't mean the sensor is working properly. The visual inspection would find a broken or loose electrical connector.

The mainshaft speed sensor has two wires going to it, orn/blu and wht/blu. You can probably pick up that sensor at a junkyard for <$20 and swap it out.

To test the sensor, unplug and check the resistance across that sensor (It should be 400-600 ohms). You can also check for loose pins on the TCU.

This information is in that shop manual I referenced in my last post.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok well ill be able to get the new sensor tomorrow since the junkyard is closed today and i dont have the device to check resistance. I checked the tcu and removed the four screws to open it up. I did not see any loose or burned pins so im guessing its not tcu. Looking at the manual im just worried its something internal on the tranny but ill keep my hopes up and change that sensor tomorrow. Thanks for the help PAhonda ill update if any changes.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies

So i changed both sensors and still nothing.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Can this code come up also with the solenoids? Ive noticed that my car sometimes wont shift appropriately or at all. I turn off the car and try turning it on and will stall right away. I turn it on again and the car starts shifting again as i drove it until the same problem happens when my shifts are erratically or wont shift at all.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:51 AM

Did you get this fix? I have the same code.

Quick Reply: TCU code 15 kickdown