General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TDC Position Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Default TDC Position Help

Well after some weeks of having my 1993 Honda Accord Ex car I've been constantly irritated by the check engine light so I found out the code and it gave me 8 flashes so I figured out that the code meant it had something to do with the TDC position. Im new to fixing cars and I was wondering what does that mean and what do I have to replace to get this check engine light of my car.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: TDC Position Help

The TDC position sensor in that year is one of 3 sensors buried down inside the distributor. Each one is a little magnetic sensor that reads the points of a star-wheel passing by.

Apparently those are near impossible to remove from the distributor so the only way is to replace the distributor body. You can probably get a distributor body without a new ignitor or coil, but it's still not cheap.

I would spend some time checking for loose/dirty/corroded wiring at the distributor, or cracked wiring, or anything like that. You want to rule out all that stuff before buying a distributor ($$$).

Old 03-24-2008, 11:08 PM

I see thank you

Old 03-24-2008, 11:44 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If the things listed above check out and it's still bad, a distributor from a junkyard cost me $85 so expect something in that price range.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:39 PM

Okay so Ive been talking to some of the people around about this problem and what was interesting was the fact my friend pointed out it can be the alternator, because all the problems Ive been having with my car is the fact that it stutters when starting some times and sometimes when Im at a stop light just waiting for a go or if im in park my car just stops and puts a battery icon red on my dashboard. So do your think thats what the TDC position is telling to change my alternator or does it really have to do with the distributor.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:20 PM

ORIGINAL: aznpinoy217

Okay so Ive been talking to some of the people around about this problem and what was interesting was the fact my friend pointed out it can be the alternator, because all the problems Ive been having with my car is the fact that it stutters when starting some times and sometimes when Im at a stop light just waiting for a go or if im in park my car just stops and puts a battery icon red on my dashboard. So do your think thats what the TDC position is telling to change my alternator or does it really have to do with the distributor.
A bad alternater causing a tdc code isn't likely. I think you have either a bad tdc sensor or wiped out distributor bearing. Is the inside of the distributor covered in a thin layer of brown dust?

Old 03-25-2008, 10:57 PM
Administrator
Default RE: TDC Position Help*

Hi Bob, please post in the additional signature area the year , make, model, engine size of your Honda...this is so that anyone who is going to help you out will know what your driving...anyone who is reading this and anyone who needs to be helped in our forums needs to do this ASAP....

WheelBrokerAng [sm=exactly.gif]

Old 03-25-2008, 11:15 PM

Huh so the alternator is fine??? If so then the distributor is the one thats causing all these problems on my engine like the once in a while stuttering start and the sudden stop of the engine?

Old 03-26-2008, 06:15 AM

ORIGINAL: aznpinoy217

Huh so the alternator is fine???
I have no way of knowing that. But it's not the cause of your tdc code.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:42 AM

They will test your alternator for free at AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts. I highly doubt it is the alternator as well. If your alternator was bad, you would be having many more problems than a check engine light. Plus the check engine light would not be throwing a code for the TDC sensor. Take off the dist cap and look for brown dust like chio said.

Quick Reply: TDC Position Help