General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Temp high & fans not working

Old 07-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Default Temp high & fans not working

I have a 2000 Honda Accord w/4cylinder & the coolant temp got up & noticed the cooling fans were not on. They don't come on even with a/c turned on. I jumped the connector from the temp sensor on the thermostat housing, I could hear the relay clicking but neither fan comes on. Both cooling fan fuses under hood are good. Any ideas what next to check ?

Old 07-07-2012, 01:15 PM

Yes, an analog meter.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have a volt meter?

Old 07-07-2012, 01:17 PM

Sorry, yes an analog meter.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Try this on both fans.

Unplug the electrical connector to each fan. Start the car and turn on the a/c. Use the volt meter to check that you have 12V going to each fan.

Do this when the engine is cold, so you don't burn yourself on hot metal.

Test the voltage on the battery using your volt meter just to make sure your volt meter is working properly.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:59 PM

Sorry, I was checking something when you posted. What I was doing: jumped the connector at the thermostat temp sensor & unplugged both fans....then checked to see if I'm getting power to fans.......getting 12v to both fans (black lead to one connector & red to other connector).
What is the luck that both fans are bad ?
Just to double check, I ran 12v to both fans........both didn't do anything....
Thanks for your help. I love this site....found where the temp sensor was for the fans by hunting on this site. I'm sure I'll visit here again.

Last edited by barneypoo69; 07-07-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:52 PM

Forgot to ask this........does a cooling fan run when the car is turned off ? Reason I ask, the battery was dead yesterday morning, trickle charged it & had it checked....its okay & has worked fine since then.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

This happens more than you might think. You never notice that one fan is not working as everything keeps working fine, unless you drive in heavy traffic (slow speeds) and hot conditions. You drive until 2nd fan fails, and then things begin to be apparent; no AC performance at idle and overheating at stopped conditions.

Glad you found the problems.

Good call by PAH.

good luck

Old 07-07-2012, 03:59 PM

Can ya'll tell me where the bleeder bolt for the cooling system is on this car (2000 Honda Accord w/2.3L)? I'm going to need to fill the rad after I replace the cooling fans.
Also, does a fan still run after the car is turned off ?

Old 07-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

TexasHonda pretty much explained what I was thinking. Glad you figured out the problem.

The bleeder bolt should be on the thermostat housing.

I don't think that you need to pull the radiator to remove the fans. They should unbolt from the radiator in place.

I am not sure if the fans turn on for the 98-02 accords after the car is turned off. The 94-97 accord fans can turn on, but they have a second temperature sensor and run off of a timer.

The 98-02 accords don't have the second sensor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Temp high & fans not working