General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temperature abnormal

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 12:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Temperature abnormal

I have a 1999 Honda Accord 2 door Vtec 3.0 Liters.

About two weeks ago I drove 15 minutes in the city to get to my cousins house and when I got there I notice the car past the half mark in temperature. I thought I pour antifreeze and problem solved, but I haven't notice any leaks so it got me thinking. Two weeks went by and yesterday I notice the cars temperature going up little bit past the half mark and then coming back to normal (little bit below half mark), I drove in the highway and the temperature did not change at all, it stayed normal, but as soon as I got back to the city it started doing it again. I know the coolant was full because I checked the day before, I have seen the fan coming on while not moving, so I discard that, one thing I did notice different is a belt (don't know which one) the belt is making a noise so I will adjust it or replace it, but I'm not sure if temperature and a belt are connected. anyways, any ideas??

Old 05-04-2014, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

With the car on, when the coolant temperature is above 199 F at Radiator Fan Switch A, both radiator fan and A/C condenser fan should be running. Also, when the A/C is on, both fans should be running.

1. With the car running, turn the A/C on, does both fans run? They should run strongly.

2. Unplug the electrical connector at Radiator Fan Switch "A", and use a wire or small paper clip to jump the 2 pin harness connector. Turn the ignition to ON or Start, does both fans run strongly? See attached pic. for location of Switch A.

The V6 has a Radiator Fan Switch A and a Radiator Fan Switch B. Radiator Fan Switch "B" (located separately) runs the radiator fan after the car is turned off, if the coolant temperature at switch B is above 225 F.

Attached Thumbnails Temperature abnormal-radiator-fan-switch.jpg