General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Temporarily increasing idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 03:38 AM
Default Temporarily increasing idle

2002 Accord SE 2.3L auto

I don't know anything about anything.

I'm trying to power a digital projector through an inverter. At idle, the alternator does not output enough power to maintain this. I want to increase the idle temporarily, for the sole purpose of idling, parked, for a couple hours at a time to power the projector, and then bring the idle back down afterward.

Basically, I want to use my Accord as a stationary generator for short periods, and need to increase the idle to do so.

However, I read this post and other info elsewhere that suggests the ECU/IAC will fight to keep the idle low.

Is this the case?
What is the procedure I should go through to accomplish this?
Do I need to disconnect the IAC?
Will I need to go through the whole process of resetting the ECU every time, or is there a simpler solution for my situation?

Merci beaucoup.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A small shim inserted behind the throttle plate stop will cause higher idle. You will need to experiment w/ different thickness shims. Suggest a strip of plastic cut from a container as shim. May need to glue a couple together to get enough idle increase.

Install by manually rotating throttle plate and inserting shim between throttle plate stop and idle stop screw. Don't attempt to adjust idle stop screw as this will cause other problems.

See attached graphics.

good luck

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ThrottleBodyLocation.pdf (232.6 KB, 128 views)
File Type: pdf
ThrottleBodyDetail.pdf (199.9 KB, 96 views)