General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Theives stealing our Accords!!! What can we do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Default Theives stealing our Accords!!! What can we do?

This past weekend my '93 Accord was broken into and my stereo (Aftermarket Alpine) was stolen. It has a removable faceplate and I had removed it (placed it in the glove box). I have stock speakers and nothing flashy about my car whatsoever. All the doors were also locked. I parked in a mall parking lot that was well lit. In addition another '92 Accord 4 spaces away was also robbed. When I and the other victim came out to our cars, the doors were unlocked and stereos gone. Both cars had the doors locked when we left them.

The police and mall security both said that the '91 to '96 Honda Accord are one of the easiest cars to break into. I am not completely sure as to how they got in either of our cars but I am suspecting they had a master type key. I say this because to get the stereo out I am pretty sure you need to move the shifter back into 1st gear.

Is there anything we can do to make our cars more difficult to break into and make it harder for someone to steal our stuff?

Old 03-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Default RE: Theives stealing our Accords!!! What can we do?

It is just so frustrating!

Old 03-21-2007, 03:56 PM

Shaved door handles and a car alarm are the most obvious options....

Old 03-21-2007, 03:59 PM

What are shaved door handles and how is this done?

Old 03-21-2007, 04:15 PM

If you've seen some show cars they don't have any door handles on them, just do a search in google for shaved door handles accord and you'll find some kits, basically what you're doing is removing the outside lock and door handle so that only a remote will allow entry... it's probably not worth it though since it can get kinda spendy...

Old 03-21-2007, 04:22 PM

Sorry for your loss, It's very hard to protect a 4 gen accord. Most of the time a thief will use a flat head screwdriver to pry the top of the window from the rubber molding enough to get a grip on the window, then all that needs to be done is pull the window out with one hand and unlock the lock with your other hand. You would be surprised how far one of those windows will bend before shatering. An alarm with proximity sensors and a hood lock(chapman) might be something to look into.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:20 PM

sell your accord and buy a hyundai... lol...

Old 03-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

If you've seen some show cars they don't have any door handles on them, just do a search in google for shaved door handles accord and you'll find some kits, basically what you're doing is removing the outside lock and door handle so that only a remote will allow entry... it's probably not worth it though since it can get kinda spendy...
this still doesnt stop breaking the window, although it does look cool

Old 03-21-2007, 06:52 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: live2rice

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

this still doesnt stop breaking the window, although it does look cool
Invest in bulletproof glass...and I think you'll be pretty well protected!

Old 03-21-2007, 08:18 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

I would definitely invest in a decent car alarm with shock sensor and starter kill.

Quick Reply: Theives stealing our Accords!!! What can we do?