General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying, 2 to choose from

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 09:42 PM
spivey
Unregistered
Default Thinking of buying, 2 to choose from

I currently own a Grand Am with over 100K, and I'm ready to switch to something a little more dependable. I've heard more good things than bad about the Accords, so I've been looking at them, and have found 2 that I think I like.

The first is the more affordable at $14,900. Its a 2003 EX, automatic, black leather and around 65K miles. When I test drove it everything seemed fine, until I went above 35 mph. After that, when I tried slowed down the speedometer would not go below 35, even at a dead stop - and when accelerating it would go back up from 35 (like it was at 0). According to the car, I was doing 100 on the interstate (not really, it felt like 60) it acted like this until the car was turned completely off. The car is at a Carmax, and I told them I'm not buying a broken car, so they're looking at it now. I heard from them yesterday and they have it at a honda dealer getting the instrument panel replaced. Is this expected in a 03? Are there any other issues (of the TSB type) I should know about for this year?

The second one I found is at a Honda dealer. Its a 06 3.0 EX-L, 6 speed manual, tan and graphite interior/trim, 29K miles. I haven't driven it yet because I don't want to get my hopes up - they have it listed for $22K (sticker) or $20K online. Quite a bit more than the 03 mentioned above, but is it worth it? I do prefer a manual....and do you think they have this listed to high? How much lower do you think they'll go?

Thanks for any input.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:04 PM
Default RE: Thinking of buying, 2 to choose from

I don't know how much this helps, but I bought a brand new '07 EX-L V6 Automatic for $23,500 last October, as the new Accords were hitting the lot. I planned to buy a new '08 one, but saw it, drove it and hated it, so I took the $5,000 bait and am very happy. Based on this, $22,000 for an '06 Stick seems a little high (even though Honda's don't appreciate much), but Edmunds and Kelley Blue Book will give you a very-fair look, specific to your area. $20,000 seems a lot closer to a fair price.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Hello New Member...whichever one you purchase..take it and look it over very carefully- before you give up the cash..find a shop who will give it a good go over that you will have to pay for...but pay it and be rest assured with what your buying..

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 03-13-2008, 11:02 AM

Watch for this problem on the 6spd: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_82878/tm.htm
I am a manual trans guy. I warn you: if you buy the automatic and you really prefer a manual trans as I do, you will forever regret buying the automatic. I regretted it afterI bought my automatic Mustang after having a Manual trans one. i will never buy an automatic trans car for myself again. just my $0.02.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:38 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Yeah I regret buying my automatic.. wish i had a manual again (this is my first and LAST auto car)

@OP, Hell I'll sell you my 03 for that much, and it has all the basic mods done, and a stereo...
But seriously, in my area my 03 Coupe is worth $11k and has 67k miles from a private seller... I would try that before falling back on CarMax.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:01 PM
spivey
Unregistered

Actually it's a 4 door, but I don't think that matters much.

I have seen another 03, same trim package but with grey leather from a private seller and they priced their's at $14K also. Maybe that's how much is left on their loan? I dunno....

Old 03-13-2008, 03:35 PM

Never buy a car from Carmax. Not that there is anything wrong with their cars, just that they rip people off. You need to know how to buy a car. I never pay more than the KBB private party "good condition" price for any used car (even from a franchise dealership). I have bought and sold several cars. Know that the dealerships mark up tremendously on their inventory. Look how that one car you mentioned is stickered at 22k and they will tell you their online special is 20K. They will tell you that is their rock bottom. Well that is bull. Even that is negotiable. Usually a dealership can take 4 grand off the sticker of a used car and still make money. Do not be afraid to walk away on a salesman. I have done it many times. Usually, I am so informed that as I am walking away, the manager will follow me out and ask what it will take to get me in the car? The simple answer is to sell it to me for my offer and I usually make an offer for a drive out price (tax included). I never agree to the bs fees that they try to add into the deal at signing.

Best advice I can give is to research Autotrader.com and ebay and see what cars are going for. Don't be ina hurry to buy.

I bought a 2003 accord EX loaded 2.4 loaded with every option including navigation with 100k miles last year for 10,500. I know you are looking for less miles, but you should be able to find an accord with less miles for quite a bit less than what you posted here. Also, I would not be too scared to purchase a Honda with 100k on it, that is just getting broken in.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:56 PM

ORIGINAL: bglovept

Never buy a car from Carmax. Not that there is anything wrong with their cars, just that they rip people off. You need to know how to buy a car. I never pay more than the KBB private party "good condition" price for any used car (even from a franchise dealership). I have bought and sold several cars. Know that the dealerships mark up tremendously on their inventory. Look how that one car you mentioned is stickered at 22k and they will tell you their online special is 20K. They will tell you that is their rock bottom. Well that is bull. Even that is negotiable. Usually a dealership can take 4 grand off the sticker of a used car and still make money. Do not be afraid to walk away on a salesman. I have done it many times. Usually, I am so informed that as I am walking away, the manager will follow me out and ask what it will take to get me in the car? The simple answer is to sell it to me for my offer and I usually make an offer for a drive out price (tax included). I never agree to the bs fees that they try to add into the deal at signing.

Best advice I can give is to research Autotrader.com and ebay and see what cars are going for. Don't be ina hurry to buy.

I bought a 2003 accord EX loaded 2.4 loaded with every option including navigation with 100k miles last year for 10,500. I know you are looking for less miles, but you should be able to find an accord with less miles for quite a bit less than what you posted here. Also, I would not be too scared to purchase a Honda with 100k on it, that is just getting broken in.
Glad you typed this so I didn't have to. Bottom line.....NEVER pay what the dealer advertises. Even private parties advertise much more than they will take.
My 00 LX was advertised for $8k at a used car dealer. I paid $6k to drive it off the lot. The only extra expense I had to pay was like $40 for my car tag.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:04 AM
spivey
Unregistered

So $16K out the door for the 06 wouldn't be unreasonable?

Old 03-14-2008, 09:24 AM

ORIGINAL: spivey

So $16K out the door for the 06 wouldn't be unreasonable?
They might not take it, but I'd try.
Heck, $16k plus tax and fees would still be a pretty good deal.

The only thing with me is, I have paid cash every time I bought a car. I've never spent more than 6k on one. Of course, I haven't bought a, actual new car yet. Mine have always been good condition used. The dealers will give you a better deal if you bring a fat wad of $100 bills in there. Then they don't have to worry about financing.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying, 2 to choose from