General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

throw-out bearing or main shaft bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Default throw-out bearing or main shaft bearing?

Hey guys,

I have a constant whirring noise coming from either the throw-out bearing or the main shaft bearing (pretty sure anyway). When the car is in neutral with the clutch fully released I have the noise. Slight to medium pressure on the clutch does not change it. It only stops when the clutch is fully depressed so it makes me think it is the main shaft bearing butI am not sure, soI am asking for your advice. Which do you think it is given the description of my problem?

If it is the throw-out, that's no big deal. If it is the main shaft bearing how difficult is it to replace? I know the tranny will have to come apart but does the bearing drive in and out fairly easy with a proper socket or wood block, or do you really need the special tool shown in the manual? If replacing that are there other bearings that should be replaced at the same time and are they easy to do as well?

I did a search and really didn't come up with much.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Default RE: throw-out bearing or main shaft bearing?

your main shaft bearing (unless our terminology is crossed) shouldn't stop spinning regardless of clutch position, so pressing or releasing the clutch shouldn't make a difference if that's the issue.... However, when you fully press the clutch down and the noise stops that leads me to believe that it's your throw-out bearing, when the clutch is full depressed the throwout bearing disenguages everything else so it's not spinning enough to cause the noise....

I've had a bad throw-out bearing once and what you are describing sounds exactly like what I was seeing, you still have to pull the tranny to fix it.... However, before you start ripping stuff out I'd wait for a second opinion on here....

Old 02-05-2008, 11:19 AM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

your main shaft bearing (unless our terminology is crossed) shouldn't stop spinning regardless of clutch position, so pressing or releasing the clutch shouldn't make a difference if that's the issue.... However, when you fully press the clutch down and the noise stops that leads me to believe that it's your throw-out bearing, when the clutch is full depressed the throwout bearing disenguages everything else so it's not spinning enough to cause the noise....

I've had a bad throw-out bearing once and what you are describing sounds exactly like what I was seeing, you still have to pull the tranny to fix it.... However, before you start ripping stuff out I'd wait for a second opinion on here....
That's why I think it is the main shaft (input shaft) bearing. The noise stops only when everything quits spinning completely, and at that point the throwout bearing is spinning but it is dead quiet at that point. I would think that a throwout bearing would be noisy when it is engaged and spinning.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:25 AM

I think we have our wires crossed....

When I had an issue, if the car was in neutral or in gear it would make noise, if I pressed the clutch pedal all the way in it wouldn't make noise, I had a bad throw-out bearing.

Is your tranny fluid full?

Old 02-05-2008, 11:51 AM

Yep it's full.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Whenever the engine is running, the throwout bearing is spinning. When you're not pressing on the clutch pedal, there's a spring inside the slave cylinder that presses the TO bearing lightly against the PP.

When you press on the clutch pedal, the extra axial load on the TO bearing often makes a noisy bearing get quiet. This happens at the beginning of the pedal stroke. Oma93 says it doesn't get quiet until the pedal is down, so I bet that's not it.

As another test, have the engine idling, with the transmission in neutral, & the clutch pedal NOT pressed down. Then suddenly & quickly press the clutch pedal all the way down. The transmission shaft has some momentum, & you'll hear it coast to a stop over a coupleseconds. A noisy TO bearing would get quiet immediately.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:25 PM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

As another test, have the engine idling, with the transmission in neutral, & the clutch pedal NOT pressed down. Then suddenly & quickly press the clutch pedal all the way down. The transmission shaft has some momentum, & you'll hear it coast to a stop over a coupleseconds. A noisy TO bearing would get quiet immediately.
This is exactly what is happening. Push the pedal to the floor quickly and the noise "winds down". That's why I though that is was most likely the main shaft bearing in the tranny. Is that your opinion as well?

Old 02-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Yes.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:10 PM

Ok, I'm very confident in my mechanic skills, how hard is it to replace? Where canI get the new bearing?

Old 02-05-2008, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

It's not "A" bearing. Once you get the tranny out, you'll have to figure out which bearing is making the noise.

Some bearings in the tranny, when you replacethem you have to use shims to adjust the clearances or preloads.

For this one job alone, you'll probably find it worthwhile to invest in a proper repair manual.
From www.helminc.com

You can check parts drawings at www.hondaautomotiveparts.com but you won't know which one makes noise until youget it out.

Quick Reply: throw-out bearing or main shaft bearing?