General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Timing Belt?

Old 02-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Default Timing Belt?

I believe my timing belt just broke! The car tried to start and then as tried to start it again it all i can hear is the starter. Does this sound like timing belt. The car is getting spark and fuel. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Default RE: Timing Belt?

sounds a little like a broken belt. give us a brief history.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:34 PM

is it making a clicking noise or what does it sound like? when you say all you can hear is the starter does it mean the car is turning over or what?

Old 02-21-2007, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

If you are getting spark that means the camshaft is turning.
You can check the timing, remove the rubber plug between the trans case and the block, rotate the crank until you see a white mark come to the pointer; then remove the upper timing cover and check that the cam pulleyhas the marks on each side aligned with the top of the head.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:37 PM

how exactly did you test for spark/fuel?

Old 02-21-2007, 08:55 PM

First of all, when i crank the car all can hear is the starter. It does not sound like the motor is trying to fire. Secondly, I pulled the coil plug off and could see significant spark. After cranking the engine over a few times i pulled a plug and could see and smell gas on it. Also i can hear the fuel pump. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Pull all the spark plugs out, dry them off with carb cleaner or lay them on the stove burner and heat them up.
Then plug the spark plugs back into the wires lay them on the valve cover so the metal of the plug is groundedand crank the engine to be sure the spark plugs will fire.
The dist rotor Could be grounding or not passing the spark.
what kind of spark plugs? How old are they? just for grins

Old 02-22-2007, 04:48 AM

The plugs have 13000 miles on them as well as the wires and the air and fuel filters. Plugs are NGK. I have read that my symptoms could be pointing to a bad MFR. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

The common way for the main relay to fail, is that it doesn't switch on the fuel pump. You said your fuel pump runs.

The other job of the main relay is to switch power to the ECU and fuel injectors. That seems to be working too.

Did you try checking spark at the actual plugs like theDude suggested?

Old 02-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Rsm93 what is really frustrating on this ,, and it is not only you it has hapened many times before and i am sure it will happen may times more,, But when people give you ( members in need ) suggestions ,, you guys DO NOT do it ,,and ask ( anyone have any ideas )?? anyone else,??......,DIDYOU chk for spark at the plugs like it was suggested to you ?? if not try that before you ask for more suggestions if you did then let us know if there was or was not spark there ,,,

is there spark at the plugs ??? that will determine the next step in troubleshooting ..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing Belt?